Question about setting up ZoneMinder for surveillance general inquiry

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
PforPianist

Question about setting up ZoneMinder for surveillance general inquiry

Post by PforPianist »

Hi my name is Nathan, I have recently signed up to this forum because i'm interested in using ZoneMinder for a cloud-based monitoring platform for surveillance cameras.

I've taken a look at the website and from general observation noticed that ZoneMinder is available for most linux distributions and also use on mobile devices.

I'm wanting to use ZoneMinder as a way to gain access to video surveillance over a web site and make the cameras available to the users. It will be set up in a premises. All cameras need to be able to write to some place for access small snippets of footage from each camera. As far as surveillance we're wanting to be able to give access to someone to be able to get a recording 30 seconds before and after a button press.

So I have a few questions regarding set up and usage.

1. For clarification, zone minder will have to run on a box and not available for mobile device, as far as serving cameras. Also is it possible for zone minder to be remote, and still access the camera surveillance.
2. Provided an answer to previous question. How much time am I looking at to set up the functionality required for a premises? (access to cameras, access on a web platform)
3. What is the memory requirement for the minute of video per camera?
4. What kind of fps is available for raspberry pi being used as the station for zoneminder?
bbunge

Re: Question about setting up ZoneMinder for surveillance general inquiry

Post by bbunge »

1. Your best bet is to set up a Linux "server" or basic headless box. You can use an old PC and get good performance. I use an older i5 quad core with 16 GIG of RAM and a 1 TB drive. 17 cameras record motion in a busy warehouse 30 miles away and the drive is about 70% full at the rate of 5 FPS 640x480 resolution.

2. I can set up a functioning system in less than an hour including installing Ubuntu 16.04. But I write the install instructions and have a few shortcuts.

3. Memory? depends on the resolution. drive space is what you will need depending upon how long you keep the events. You may be able to run one camera on 500 MEG of RAM. My 17 camera system uses 25% of the tmpfs

4. With a pi you can run one maybe two cameras. Good tool to play with but a production system is best with an old PC.
PforPianist

Post by PforPianist »

Thanks bbunge that's very helpful.

Astounding that you can run 17 cameras! that's fantastic!
mbill

Post by mbill »

bbunge wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:43 pm 1. Your best bet is to set up a Linux "server" or basic headless box. You can use an old PC and get good performance. I use an older i5 quad core with 16 GIG of RAM and a 1 TB drive. 17 cameras record motion in a busy warehouse 30 miles away and the drive is about 70% full at the rate of 5 FPS 640x480 resolution.
How long does it take to fill the drive to 70%.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

mbill wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:37 am
bbunge wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:43 pm 1. Your best bet is to set up a Linux "server" or basic headless box. You can use an old PC and get good performance. I use an older i5 quad core with 16 GIG of RAM and a 1 TB drive. 17 cameras record motion in a busy warehouse 30 miles away and the drive is about 70% full at the rate of 5 FPS 640x480 resolution.
How long does it take to fill the drive to 70%.
Depends on number of cameras, resolution, frame rate, Zoeminder Function, motion detected and hard drive size. My 17 camera system deletes events over 30 days old and runs 64 to 70 percent of a 1TB drive. As they say...your results will vary...