how to control bw with stream?

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
adahary

how to control bw with stream?

Post by adahary »

Hi,

when using stream with cambozola the actual bw is around 145kbps per camera (320x240) regardless of the fps value.
how come? how can I control the stream bw?

and another question, when I'm viewing the same camera with it's activx viewer I measure much lower bw than cambozola. Is it because the activex viewer just complement the frame change and the cambozola pull the whole frame each time?

Regards

adahary
adahary

Post by adahary »

Can someone reply any comment on this issue?

DSL/Cable upload BW consideration is very critical for viewing camera stream. any tip to improve it is welcome

regards

adahary
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

you can alter the fps streamed in the bw settings of zm in options. dont alter the fps on the source
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
adahary

Post by adahary »

the B/W tabs in the options sets the upload bw from zm server to the viewer. in this direction I have no limit of the upload BW.

I'm looking for a way to reduce the BW between the ZM and the remote IP camera.

simple math shows that a standart image of 320x240 whights about 18kbyte which cost around 145kbps in the dsl upload for only 1fps.
so with a standard dsl link of 1.5M/150kbps the max is fps=1.
When I use the original camera viewer embeded in the browser I can watch nicly at 5fps with the same dsl link.

should I look for a camera that produces images with much lower bytes to achive better fps? or there are other ways?
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

you are right to adjust the fps capture setting but as you state there is a finite amount of bandwidth available. id first look at altering the quality of the jpg coming from the camera, you will not be able to adjuct this from with zm and it will be a cam setting or something you pass in the url on each grab. Its possible your cam is streaming to you with mpeg which uses less bandwidth than jpeg but in a poorer qulaity. You may be better fitting a zm box where the cam rather than trying to stream from the cam to the zm box
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
adahary

Post by adahary »

my zm server is out in the internet and my cameras are located in many other locations hooked to different dsl lines (something like chain stores), that's why I need to mange low bw for streaming.

zm on local lan with the cameras is ideal but not in my case. i can't end up with a zm/pc in each camera location

i should look for a camera that produces good quality images with low byte weight.

Any recommendations?

thanx James
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

you are retricted by the jpeg compression algorithm, jpeg 2000 gives better images at lower bandwidth but doesnt work with zm as it appears there is no open source jpeg 2000 library
James Wilson