Zoneminder continuous live stream problem

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
TJBraza

Zoneminder continuous live stream problem

Post by TJBraza »

Hello friends. I'm a newbie at the forum and ZM alike.

I have a problem with continuous mpeg4 live streams in ZM. I have tried feeding ffmpeg with "-r 1" to "-r 5" and the problem remains. I'll try and explain what happens:

When I'm watching a live stream through the 'net, it never drops a captured frame. That means that if a frame doesn't manage to get transmitted in time, it remains in the buffer to be transmitted later, which in turns means that after watching a live stream for 10 minutes, the video is delayed by about 4 minutes on a slow connection, less than that on a fast connection. For instance, right now the clock on my PC reads 9:30 and the clock on the ZM camera reads 9:26.

I could use still stream mode, but I'd lose nice mpeg4 features, for instance, it will only send differences between frames across the wire.

I understand that for past events, it is better to watch all frames, than to have dropped frames. But for live streams, I need (closer to) real time viewing, it doesn't matter if I get frame drops.

What can I do about it? Does anyone have anything to add to this?

Thanks a lot for your time.
TJBraza

Post by TJBraza »

Anyone?
cordel

Post by cordel »

There is not much to say other than it's between the ffmpeg package and the media player you are using. mpg players normaly buffer the stream. Might check to see if there is any settings in your player that will allow more realtime viewing.
victor_diago

Post by victor_diago »

Hi,

What cordel means is that it actually doesnt work ANY way for a long time.

Sure it will be a very good feature. i tried a lot but had no success.

Thats it.

But zoneminder still a very good system.
cordel

Post by cordel »

Is the nature of how mpeg was developed. It was made to present video with out concern of being real time :(
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

have we tried it at 25 fps, i looked into this a lot a while ago and concluded it was the media player used on the client pc. I have yet to find a client that will work correctly but always used about 2-6 fps not 25. he thought just came to me and im not sure if it will help. Obviously if it does we need to send 25 fps even if we arte not capturing at that.
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk