Want to Upgrade from 1.21 but my Suse is stuffed advice?

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
Mark Ward

Want to Upgrade from 1.21 but my Suse is stuffed advice?

Post by Mark Ward »

Some while ago I installed 1.21 on a Suse 10.1 server and got it working, sort of. It is still currently operational as it is, but I will need to be adding more hardware etc. and I don't seem to have updates access any more.

I decided that the project had to wait until I had a little more time, but now I come back and the Linux repositories I was using don't seem to exist, my OpenSuse is asking for an activation code from the Novell site when I try & update.

I don't suppose there's a "Fix my Suse" configuartion opition to go back to default repositories etc. is there?

I'm wondering whther there's less trouble in just starting again under another Linux? I really like Suse, but that's probably just familiarity.

What do you reckon? Start from scratch or fix what did work 6 months ago but now seems messed up despite not being touched since?

I should have I have no crucial data on the machina at all, and that this machine is 100% for Zoneminder, no bloatware needed.

Thanks,

Mark.
monex

Post by monex »

hi,

you can drop all repositories by goning to yast->change install source and remove all installation sources. then go to "online update setup" and follow the steps on the screen and leave the "register" option unchecked. this will add you a default update mirror. after it should be possible to run yast->onlineupdate.

for adding other interesting package repositories look at http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_YaST_ ... positories

hope this helps.

btw are you sure that you are using 10.1 and not an eval version of SLES or so? because only SLED/SLES requires an activation code after one month for getting further updates/upgrades.

Have a lot of fun

monex
Mark Ward

Post by Mark Ward »

Thanks for the reply..
monex wrote:you can drop all repositories by goning to yast->change install source and remove all installation sources. then go to "online update setup" and follow the steps on the screen and leave the "register" option unchecked. this will add you a default update mirror. after it should be possible to run yast->onlineupdate.
I followed this, but after successfully removing all installation sources (and rebooting) I am left with no installation sources when I re-run "Online Update". For maximum compatibilty what would you recommend as the best primary source to add manually?
for adding other interesting package repositories look at http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_YaST_ ... positories
I'll take a look at that once I get the basic updates sorted :) Thanks...
btw are you sure that you are using 10.1 and not an eval version of SLES or so? because only SLED/SLES requires an activation code after one month for getting further updates/upgrades.
The "Activation code" bit comes from trying to run "Online Update Configuration" as opposed to "Online Update Setup", I downloaded an install DVD of what I thought at the time was OpenSuse 10.1, though I could be mistaken... How can I tell what version I'm running?

Many thanks,

Mark.
monex

Post by monex »

hi,

to find out your suse version you can look at terminal 1 (ctrl+alt+F1). there should stand something like "Welcome to openSuse xxx".

I found a tutorial for suse 10.1 for configuring online update http://en.opensuse.org/YaST/YaST_Online_Update_-_10.1 maybe you leave the option "Registration Code" checked, then yast asks for registration code. but you don't need this option so leave it unchecked.

the package managaer in 10.1 in the early version does have some problems especially zenworks :(. when this not helps maybe you should try to use yum or smart to fetch the upgrades for the package manager (and all other updates).

install yum for this (should be on regular install dvd) download and copy http://www.personal.uni-jena.de/~p1woro ... pdate.repo to your /etc/yum.repos.d/. then run yum check-update for checking a list of all packages where updates are available and yum update to install all updates.

hope this helps

Have a lot of fun

Monex