Privacy issues of a default authenticated configuration?

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
MJN

Post by MJN »

I'd find such access too restrictive, don't you? I like to be able to access ZM from anywhere - PDAs, work PCs, Internet cafes etc, where SSH tunneling is usually unavailable.

SSL and HTTP on the other hand are of course ubiquitous and is just as secure given the same underlying fundamental technology... Hence, just give me a browser and I'll be happy (and secure) ... ;)

Mathew
robi

Post by robi »

Well I was able to establish a tunnel almost anywhere I went so far, putty is freely downloadable anywhere plus you can always have it on your usb pendrive. There is also a putty for Windows mobile...

Indeed it's a bit hassle, but security is rather important.
v1.25.0 + Ubuntu Linux 12.04 Server
MJN

Post by MJN »

Oh I agree security is important (I don't recall saying/implying it wasn't!), but since when was HTTPS insecure? It's just as secure as your SSH tunnel, yet significantly easier and more accessible.

The 'almost anywhere' caveat is not good enough for me - I need secure access everywhere (and have it too). As for hassle, none here! ;)

Regarding Putty, you're right you can download it anywhere but that's not to say you can install it - you certainly wouldn't be able to at my work and probably most Internet cafes too. So-called 'web kiosks' and dumb terminals wouldn't allow anything but standard browser access too.

As for Putty on PDA's it doesn't support tunneling unfortunately - unless you know of a way? (not that I'd want to, for the reasons stated above, but it'd be interesting to know for some other applications)

Each to his own I suppose... :)

Mathew