Backup all the essential stuff

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
jamescollings

Backup all the essential stuff

Post by jamescollings »

I have looked through the wiki and FAQ but can't see the answer (can't believe no-one else has asked).

Does anyone have a script (or defined process) that will back up all of the essential data to a single file?

I am guessing that the "essential" information would be the camera configuration information, zones, and the events and images from the MySQL database. I'd like to be able to schedule this backup to occur regularly and then ftp the file to a NAS that I have. If someone knows the commands/locations for this information, then I can write the shell script quite easily.

I need this for 2 reasons.
1) Now that I have configured my zones and cameras to just the way I need them, I now have to re-install ZM from scratch (to repair the bodged modifications that I made).
2) If a toe-rag does break in... I don't want them to take all the PC's that have the recordings of their faces (my NAS is very well hidden).

Thanks in advance
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

The two main things you would need to back up are the db, which you can do with mysqldump, and the 'events' directory, which would need tar. I do have a prototype system backup and restore script somewhere that never quite got finished. I think I will try and polish them off for the next release.
Phil
jamescollings

Post by jamescollings »

zoneminder wrote:I do have a prototype system backup and restore script somewhere that never quite got finished.
Do you fancy sending it to me (in it's current state) and I'll finish it up for you?
Only guessing, but we'd want to read the location of the events and images directories from the database, and take the output filename from the command line or prompt the user. I don't know enough about the web interface to know if it could be incorporated into that, but if it was written so that all inputs could be provided on the command line, then that enhancement could be worked on later.

Whaddya think?
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

You might find some of this useful.

http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6299
jamescollings

Post by jamescollings »

Cool 8)

Since I am running that release of the LiveCD, it looks like I already have everything I need.

I'll give it a go tonight. Thanks