jpeg SIMD (MMX) success!

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
sugacapra

Post by sugacapra »

worked perfectly, with epia (C3) cpu performance improved really.

cpu passed from 43% to 24% for zmc

a real gain!!!

thanks all
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

i ownder what difference sse3 would make. I must say that the increases in performance seem huge. But obviously only in the jpeg creating department. zma in modetc/mocord obviously still uses the bulk of cpu time. Is there a way of helping these processes or does analysing images take this power regardless due to the nature of the beast
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
dbosso

Post by dbosso »

Still working great here on my home system with one camera.

I wish I could apply it to my AMD64 8 camera system. I may have to re-do that box as 32bit just for the boost from this library.

-David
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

did you notice any major speed gains of 64bit over 32 bit? Obviously there are gains with the mmx but i wouldnt have thought in this application there were big gains in 64 bit, but i may be way off!! lol
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
dbosso

Post by dbosso »

It's got 6GB of RAM and there are some other things running on it, so I'd like to avoid taking the himem IO performance hit.

I doubt there'd be much of a processor performance difference going to 32bit, other than the huge gains i'd be able to get by using the jpeg-simd lib.

-David
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

6GIG whats it running??
James Wilson

essup

Post by essup »

jpeg-mmx also now works for me on slackware-current.
yod9999

Post by yod9999 »

i'd just like to reiterate how much difference this alternative libjpeg makes. on a via epia en12000 with one local camera in record mode capturing in colour at 3fps and 640x480, user cpu usage (almost all zma) dropped from ~27% to ~11%. quite impressive. don't know how it'll perform long term yet, but loks good so far

neil
unclerichy

Post by unclerichy »

It's improved my system's ability to monitor a camera on-screen at 352x288 whilst capturing events from up to three cameras with less chance that frames will be lost.

EDIT: Probably shouldn't post last thing at night...
Last edited by unclerichy on Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

im starting to be convinced by its long term stabiliuty too
James Wilson

Flash_

Post by Flash_ »

Ok, a bit behind the rest of you, but I've just installed the libs on both my Quad Xeon and the Athlon-64.

Both OS's running Debian Etch (Testing), both CPU sets have MMX capabilities. (Confirmed with cpuid)

Install as given by james.

make install failed on both machines due to:
/usr/bin/install: cannot create regular file `/usr/local/man/man1/cjpeg.1': No such file or directory

Easily fixed with a "mkdir /usr/local/man/man1" (Both my installs only had man4). Re-run make install, fine.

Xeon load before: 3.16 after: 1.86 (Rising to 2.50 depending on alarms)
Athlon load before: 0.86 after: 0.35 (Rising to 0.8)

No difference in usage that I can see. Thanks dbosso
SyRenity

Post by SyRenity »

Hi Flash.

So this library does run on 64-bit CPU? I recall there were remarks that the 64-bit support is not complete.
Flash_

Post by Flash_ »

I suspect that's referring to a 64-bit OS.

I'm running a 32-bit kernel on a 64-bit CPU so as far as software's concerned, it's 32-bit. Sorry I didn't make that clear.
SyRenity

Post by SyRenity »

Hi.

Thanks for the information.
jan

Post by jan »

i can confirm good results on a Celeron 2.53GHz (512ram) with 2x DCS-900 (640x480 ~6fps) on modect (avg. 60% active area)

load average dropped from .6 to .4
idle CPU went from 66% to 76% :)