jpeg SIMD (MMX) success!

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Blazer wrote:I had similar success with this. My load average is now .80! This should be made a sticky, and noted in the Zm docs :)
The documentation is all in the Wiki now so anyone can edit it to add useful information.
Phil
robi

Post by robi »

zoneminder wrote:
Blazer wrote:I had similar success with this. My load average is now .80! This should be made a sticky, and noted in the Zm docs :)
The documentation is all in the Wiki now so anyone can edit it to add useful information.
Could you provide the link? Cant' seem to find it.
v1.25.0 + Ubuntu Linux 12.04 Server
cordel

Post by cordel »

Try the first post in the thread ;)
[quote] The AMD64 (EM64T/Intel64) is a 64-bit mode environment (at this time) is not supported. ã
robi

Post by robi »

cordel wrote:Try the first post in the thread ;)
There's no link to the corresponding WiKi page in the first post... 'cos that's what I'm looking for :lol:
cordel

Post by cordel »

Phil was refering to the fact that what used to be the readme is now in the wiki (Documentation link on the left side of the wiki menu) and if someone wanted to make note of it in that section, they are welcome too :)
My only concern is that nothing has happened with this project for almost 2 years, so the question becomes how long before it's not up to par so to speak :roll:
And there is not 64 bit OS support.

Translated through Google, More info.
robi

Post by robi »

Hmm... there's still nothing about simd on the 'Documentation link on the left side of the wiki menu'. I may be dumb or I cannot see it. I mean it says 'The documentation is all in the Wiki...' but except a few general words that you should perhaps change libraries if yu expreience heavy load, nothing really on this specific topic...

Or am I missing something?
cordel

Post by cordel »

He was saying that some one could add the information if they wanted, not that it is there.
Blazer

Post by Blazer »

FYI I just did another ZM install at another location, and again had success with installing this alternate libjpeg. This time instead of source install, I used the RPMS that are at http://cetus.sakura.ne.jp/softlab/jpeg- ... html#linux

This system is Centos5, and all I did was:

Code: Select all

wget http://cetus.sakura.ne.jp/softlab/jpeg-x86simd/linux/FC6/libjpeg-6bx1.02-2.fc6.i386.rpm
wget http://cetus.sakura.ne.jp/softlab/jpeg-x86simd/linux/FC6/libjpeg-devel-6bx1.02-2.fc6.i386.rpm
service zm stop
rpm -ev --nodeps libjpeg libjpeg-devel
rpm -ivh libjpeg*
service zm start
All done, instant improvement :)
timcraig

Post by timcraig »

The source doesn't compile with the version of NASM on Ubuntu 8.04. I get the following errors

nasm -felf -DELF -I./ ./jccolmmx.asm -DPIC -o jccolmmx.lo
./jccolmmx.asm:403: error: mismatch in operand sizes
./jccolmmx.asm:404: error: mismatch in operand sizes
./jccolmmx.asm:442: error: mismatch in operand sizes
./jccolmmx.asm:443: error: mismatch in operand sizes
make: *** [jccolmmx.lo] Error 1
nasm -v on Ubuntu 8.04 gives:

NASM version 0.99.06-20071101 compiled on Nov 15 2007
I downloaded the latest version of nasm on sourceforge ( version 2.02) and everything complied fine.
coke

Ubuntu 8.0.4

Post by coke »

Haven't finished installing ZoneMinder yet, but successfully compiled the jpeg mmx libs with the following.

* wget http://cetus.sakura.ne.jp/softlab/jpeg- ... .02.tar.gz

* tar xzvf jpegsrc-6b-x86simd-1.02.tar.gz
* wget http://internap.dl.sourceforge.net/sour ... .02.tar.gz
* tar -xvf nasm-2.02.tar.gz
* cd nasm-2.02
* ./configure
* make
* make install
* cd jpeg-6bx/
* ./configure --enable-shared
* make
* make install
* ldconfig
darkpaw

FC8

Post by darkpaw »

What kind of performance gains would be expected with this on say Fedora Core 8? Has anyone tried this yet?
creator

Post by creator »

On ZM LiveCD v1.22.3 - Mandriva 2007.0, I did the following:

wget http://cetus.sakura.ne.jp/softlab/jpeg- ... .02.tar.gz

compiled it (./configure --enable-shared & make)
then overwrote the lib from rpm libjpeg62-6bx-40mdv2007.0 with ./.libs/libjpeg.so.62.1.0

It worked! And it seems to have lowered my load...!
eh_ch

Post by eh_ch »

Looks like my load has increased from (0.5 - 5+) to 1.1 - don't know until the frame gets busy after the weekend when there's traffic in front of the cams.

- Athlon 1300 or 1400
- 1G DDR400
- installed from rmelin's LiveCD, not updated.

Is it maybe better able to keep up, so getting more analysis done?

EDIT: I was too hasty, once I closed the SSH client (putty), load went back down to normal, but not lower. Again, maybe next week I won't peak as much when ZM gets busy.
-h
lorsungcu

Post by lorsungcu »

Id like to add my experience - this dropped my load from ~14 to ~2. increased frame rates by 20FPS PER CAMERA for 8 cameras, at 640x480. really, really great. this should be standard! thanks!
SyRenity

Post by SyRenity »

Hi.
cordel wrote:Phil was refering to the fact that what used to be the readme is now in the wiki (Documentation link on the left side of the wiki menu) and if someone wanted to make note of it in that section, they are welcome too :)
My only concern is that nothing has happened with this project for almost 2 years, so the question becomes how long before it's not up to par so to speak :roll:
And there is not 64 bit OS support.

Translated through Google, More info.
Hmm, that what I read from Google translated content there:
"
In the current version is not compatible with AMD64 but, AMD64 compatible version is now in production. During the first half of this year, if possible, even late in the year to support the AMD64 version to the public.
(26/10/2006: making the current work stops. Will be delayed from release. I'm sorry.) However, i386/AMD64 porting to other platforms do not plan to. So, Itanium version or PowerPC (Mac) version of hope, that hope will not be answered."

I presume this means that 64-bit support is coming eventually.