Upgrading from 1.19.5 to 1.2x.x - where are DB rules

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
ekiboy69

Upgrading from 1.19.5 to 1.2x.x - where are DB rules

Post by ekiboy69 »

Hello,

I am trying to upgrade ZM from 1.19.5 to the latest version, currently being 1.21.4

When executing zmupdate.pl it says "Can't find an upgrade from version 1.19.5." This means that nothing is done to the database.

Have I understood something wrong here? Should I get a new zmupdate.pl from somewhere instead? The one I have in path is the one that came with 1.19.5.

The tarball of new version does not seem to have to have zmupdate.pl, either.
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Are you trying to run the 1.19.5 zmupdate script? If so then it won't know anything about later versions. You don't say if you are on the source version of ZM or one of the rpm or distro versions, can you give some more details?

You will need to get a 1.21.4 version on ZM on your system and then run zmupdate.pl to update the DB. The zmupdate.pl file comes shipped as zmupdate.pl.z and and gets processed by zmconfig.pl to create the actual zmupate.pl file.

Phil
ekiboy69

More information

Post by ekiboy69 »

Phil,

I am trying to upgrade an installation made with Ross Melin's Livecd. It has 1.19.5 on it.

Yes, I am trying to run zmupdate.pl. I have the source package and I have compiled it using the instructions given here: http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5200

I found file zmupdate.pl in the scripts subdir in the package I downloaded.

Should I copy this over the existing zmupdate.pl and execute it?
cordel

Post by cordel »

The RPM should automaticly update the database on it's own when the service is restarted.

Regards,
Cordel
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

cordel wrote
The RPM should automaticly update the database on it's own when the service is restarted.
He's right but you will first need to edit /etc/zm.conf
Use:
ZM_DB_USER=zm_admin
ZM_DB_PASS=zaq1xsw2

Then starting ZM with "service zm start" should have you up to date.

Whoa, hold the phone. I haven't posted an RPM for Mandrake 10.0.

I'll put up a src RPM and here is a link to how to rebuild it:
http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4915
Note the need to install the devel libraries for ssl

Find the src RPM here:
http://www.elltel.net/melins/mdk_10.1/SRPMS/

Upgrading this way will be easier than from source will make future upgrades a snap. :)
ekiboy69

I guess I'd better upgrade the distro...

Post by ekiboy69 »

Hi,

Thank you for your advice. I ended into dependency problems. Missing perl modules. Perl-x10 for example. I think it will be easier to upgrade the whole OS and use then Ross's RPM's for upgrade?
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

Not to discourage an OS upgrade. But if you have no X10 devices you can just install with "rpm -Uvh --nodeps zm...."

In fact IIRC the perl modules are installed via CPAN with ZMliveCD_1.19.5 so X10 should still work. It's just that they don't show up in the RPM database.