Graphical interface to zoneminder

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
curtishall

Graphical interface to zoneminder

Post by curtishall »

First off, Zoneminder is an excellent program, and I hope that Phil and the rest continue this program.

Has anyone messed with changing the control center / montage view to something a little less complex? I've seen some DVR security systems that have a very 'dumbed up' interface for those people that need big fancy buttons to press.

Here's an example:

http://buycctvforless.com/prodpics/POWE ... ot1big.gif

Anyway, I'm sure hacking zm_html_view_montage.php and related files wont be a big deal. I'm just checking to make sure nobody else has done this before i work on it :)

Thanks
maron

Post by maron »

Not to sound discouraging, but this is the exact reason we changed from a proprietary system to zoneminder. At least a GUI interface should look and behave like the other applications on the OS. For most parts it doesn't, we've exchanged systems from kodicom with zoneminder since users never got quite used to the kodicom interface, also the kodicom server ran on windows 98 and did a reboot once every 24 hours, "to maintain system stability" as the salesperson said.

However a well though and user friendly gui interface could be a very nice feature.
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

It's pretty easy to plug in a new 'lite' interface and that's certainly something on my 'to do' list, certainly as far as the console is concerned. The montage interface, if you have compact montage enabled, is pretty simple as it is and if anything perhaps needs functionality added.

Phil,
gnuorder

Post by gnuorder »

I was thinking of a plugin for MythTV, too. If someone ends up taking this task on, keep MythTV in mind so it can at least be easily adapted for that.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Good to see this subject come up.

One of the first projects for ZM I am considering diving into is a Mozilla/XUL interface to give ZM the polished look like the example JPEG posted. I'm not sure when I'll get to it since I have some other food-on-the-table projects with higher priorities.

The 2nd item on my ZM list is to add an time-of-use scheduling system for things like not recording business hours events but also have a single button for overriding the scheduling settings.

The current UI works quite well but joe sixpack user is going to be more comfortable seeing pretty buttons and such.