My IP camera not detected

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
gayan123

My IP camera not detected

Post by gayan123 »

I'm using zoneminder 1.23.3 and try to use it with an IP camera. That camera can be view with firefox using "<camera IP address>/videostream.cgi."

But, I couldn't be able to setup a monitor at zoneminder with this camera.

Please HELP !!!!
bb99

Re: My IP camera not detected

Post by bb99 »

Please post camera model, distro. and version, and most importantly your remote source tab settings and current settings in the camera. Before even starting troubleshooting, keep in mind: if the camera resolution is much over 320*240 you have to increase your shmall and shmmax settings or any work you do will be waisted effort. Search the forums or wiki for shared memory, very well documented.
gayan123

Post by gayan123 »

hi!

sorry for the late response.
these are the only details that i know about my camera.
production of a Apexis.
Firmware version :0.22.2.20
Model Number: APM-J012-WS (not sure.its look like my cam.i got this from their site)

sorry for unable to provide more details.(there's nothing mentioned in camera or couldnt find
details you asked even from the UI they provided.) :(

Here are some settings of my camera.
Resolution :320*240 (another values :160*120, 640*480)
Mode : 50 HZ (i don't have clear idea about this.may be light frequency.there are three options"50HZ, 60HZ, outdoor")

so please can you give me an idea about how should be my settings of shmall and shmax values?

Here are my source tab settings in zoneminder

Remote Host Name ->admin:admin@(camera Ip)
Remote Host Port -> 80 (its not working when this field empty also)
Remote Host Path->/videostream.cgi
Remote Image Colours->24 bit color
capture width :320
capture height:240

In Buffers tab,

Image Buffer Size (frames) :40
Warmup Frames :30
Stream Replay Image Buffer :1000

please help!
sorry for the late response again. :)
bb99

Post by bb99 »

First I've heard of this camera so I might not be any help but to answer your shared memory question, I don't think it's going to be an issue at your current resolution.

Code: Select all

You can often find out how much shared memory is available by typing the following :-

cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmall

and the most you can allocate in one go :-

cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

To change these values type (for example) :-

echo 134217728 >/proc/sys/kernel/shmall
echo 134217728 >/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

Be sure to restart ZoneMinder after this. However be aware that sometimes you will only need to change the shmmax value as shmall is often large enough. Also changing these values in this way is only effective until your machine is rebooted.

To change them permanently you will need to edit /etc/sysctl.conf and add the following lines (for example) :-

kernel.shmall = 134217728
kernel.shmmax = 134217728
Your source values seem reasonable so we need to focus on the "remote host path". Bring the camera up in a browser and check the properties (IE - right click and select properties, FF - left click view::page source...), the path the browser is using to get the stream will be displayed. This path is often exactly, or at least, very similar to what you need to be using. Remember to parse up the url (IP to the remote host name entry, port to the port entry, remainder to the remote host path entry...). Doing this will also verify the resolution the camera is sending; it must match the ZM settings exactly. If you come up with a url that you're unsure what to do, post it and we'll see what we can do to help.