Mobilebroadband

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
hushpuppy

Mobilebroadband

Post by hushpuppy »

I run zm on a machine with mobilebroadband (T-Mobile).

I want to be able to see live streams over this connection, but it appears that T-Mobile block the ports.

Can anyone suggest a way to view the cameras in realtime over the internet ?.
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

jpeg stills work on my T mobile internet but but it take forever they have a stupid proxey that everything goes through and resizes (depending on phone and or card ) the image making streaming imposable
haus

Post by haus »

OP: you can change the port Apache listens on, then open up the relevant port on your router. How to do this is beyond the scope of a single post, and running a home server that is accessible on the internet is almost always disallowed by home broadband providers (and mobile providers as well). That said, if you run a password protected site on a non-standard port and only use it yourself for limited traffic, most likely no one will hassle you.
newvisionantenna

Post by newvisionantenna »

You could use pptp or openvpn running on custom router firmware to pump feeds to Zoneminder. I've did it already and it works as advertised.
hushpuppy

Post by hushpuppy »

kingofkya :- Every port appears to be blocked with my card.

haus :- It's just a USB dongle, not a router.

newvisionantenna :- Will check those out, thanks

[/code]
haus

Post by haus »

Then change the port Apache listens on in your ZM box. Since you don't have a router, you skip that step. In your httpd.conf, set "Listen 80" to "Listen 90" and try accessing your box at:

(restart apache)

<<ipaddress>>:90

Edit: I just saw your first line, every port is blocked? interesting, maybe you're hosed then?
hushpuppy

Post by hushpuppy »

OK, i finally managed to find some time to figure this out, so here is a short howto.
Using ssh reverse tunneling.

I have three systems. Mobile (usb mobile broadband connection), Server, this is my Linux hosted server for all my websites, running debian and i have full ssh access. Home, a number of systems on an ADSL connection. (Instead of using server, i could probably use a shell account freely available on the net)

I want to be able to see what is hapenning at my mobile site (using zm),from home but can't because it's NAT'd and firewalled out.

First make a change on Server, edit the sshd_config file, and uncomment the "GatewayPorts" statement and change it from "no" to "yes". Reboot the ssh server.

Now from Mobile, issue the following command. ssh -N -f -R 19823:localhost:80 Server

Replace Server with the ip address of your own machine thats going to act as a way of accessing zm.

Normally, when i want to go to a webpage on my web Server machine (from Home), i will type in this "http://www.Server.com" , by default your browser looks for web pages on port 80, but if you are running a server on a different port, you have to tell the browser to use a different port, by adding a colon (:) then the port number. In this instance, I want to access port 19823, so i would use http://www.Server.com:19823. Providing you followed the instructions above correctly, you should access the webserver running on Mobile.

This worked for me flawlessly, it's not automatic as I have to enter a password at the start of the ssh connection, and I'm sure that the connection will die if there's no traffic, thats next on the agenda.

Hope this helps someone.