Sending Email, ISP password & secure port STMP?

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
wkulecz

Sending Email, ISP password & secure port STMP?

Post by wkulecz »

I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 and installed ZoneMinder package that is in the repositories and followed the *.deb instructions in the Wiki.

Perhaps someone should add that ZM seems to require the X server be in 24-bit color mode (I was using 16-bit color as required for a different application). Once I figured this out and got the black screen in the monitor with the time date overlay, the FAQ instructions to set brightness got me a live video image in the monitor page.

Performance seems pretty poor with only one camera in use, but before I proceed, I need to make sure it can send Email in response to alarm events.

My ISP recently required secure port SMTP and password authorization to accept outgoing messages. My old GV-600 Windows system can't do this authorization so I need an upgrade ASAP!

I don't see any settings in the Options screen Email tab to enter alternate SMTP port, encryption type, and password.

There is no point pursuing the performance problems, if I can't send Email with ZM. Running STMP myself is not an option as my ISP blocks STMP that is not to/from their servers in an attempt to cut down spam.

If anyone know how to setup a simple "accept plain STMP mail and forward to secure port password authorized STMP server" I could continue to use my GV-600 which has given many years of faithful and reliable service.

--wally.

Edit: Any documentation about the "use newer perl method to send emails" checkbox?
Your commitment to Freedom is measured by your tolerance of others doing things you disapprove.
Normando

Post by Normando »

Look at contributions forum for add secure smtp
wkulecz

Post by wkulecz »

Normando wrote:Look at contributions forum for add secure smtp
I assume you mean this:

http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... ecure+smtp

It looks like a good place to start. Seems the version I installed via Ubuntu 8.04 Synaptic is 1.22.3 not 1.23.x, not sure if it matters or not.

thanks!
--wally.
Your commitment to Freedom is measured by your tolerance of others doing things you disapprove.
haus

Post by haus »

FWIW, I installed exim4 on Ubuntu; then I configured it as root using dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config (I think I have that correct, you can look up the exact command). During the configuration:

(items in <> need your entries)

mail set by smarthost; received via SMTP or fetchmail
[system mail name:] <HOSTNAME>
[IP-addresses for SMTP connections:] 127.0.0.1 (since we want to prohibit local smtp connections entirely, we receive no mail)
[final-destination hostnames:] <HOSTNAME> if your ZM machine name is machinename.HOSTNAME.tld; otherwise you can leave blank
[machines to relay mail for:] (leave blank)
[host name of outgoing smarthost:] <HOSTNAME OF ISP MAIL SERVER>::587
[hide local mail name in outgoing mail?] No
[Dial on demand?] No
[Delivery method:] mbox format in /var/mail
[Split configuration:] No

Then: create /etc/exim4/passwd.client with:
<HOSTNAME OF ISP MAIL SERVER>:<SMTP USERNAME>:<SMTP PASSWORD>

If you're running a firewall, open port 587 TCP outbound. Then you can configure ZM to use "localhost" to send mail and it will send using the SMTP smarthost you defined above. Works beautifully for me and even though my ISP doesn't block port 25 I specified port 587 anyway (my SMTP Auth provider listens on both) just in case Comcast starts blocking 25 down the road.

I also put a .forward file in /root so that any mail to root goes to my real email address, again using the smarthost.