MySQL n00b problem

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
TrOjAn

MySQL n00b problem

Post by TrOjAn »

OK, Im a fool.. I forgot my login info for the database, I have tried everything I can to correct it, I uninstalled every MySQL package, uninstalled Zoneminder, restarted, reinstalled but it never asks for the password again, so its in there somewhere and I dont know what it is.

Before I format and reinstall Ubuntu again can anyone point me to a solution?

Thanks (I hope) TrOjAn
coke

Post by coke »

Not sure if this would help, but when you uninstalled it, did you use Synaptic and check "Completely Remove Package" instead of just "Remove Package"?

If you do that, it should hit you up for a new root password when you reinstall mysql.
TrOjAn

Post by TrOjAn »

I did check completely remove but on reinstalling it did not ask me for a password, I was thinking the same as you ;)

TrOjAn
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

Try this...
http://www.google.com/search?q=reset+mysql+password

It happens more often than you think. ;)
TrOjAn

Post by TrOjAn »

Thanks Lee, I know am able to connect to the database using mysql manager... I now need to be able to use zm4ms but thats asking for a login / password too :) Im not to good with security as you may know.

TrOjAn
cordel

Post by cordel »

A simpler way might have been to look in the /etc/zm.conf and use the same user and password that zm is using.
TrOjAn

Post by TrOjAn »

cordel,

if there wernt such a time difference between us that would have been THE way to go :)

Next Time Ill wait a day ;) think it will be worth it.

TrOjAn
baxterdmutt

Post by baxterdmutt »

I had a similar problem. After a week of fighting with it I reinstalled the works from scratch. Fortunately, there was nothing else on my box, so not loss. It works great now.
monex

Post by monex »

Hi,

look at the following thread: http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12280

if you entered the wrong mysql root password before edit .my.cnf and enter the correct password and run zm_database_init again (you can also remove this file it then will be recreated during execution of zm_database_init when you get prompted for the mysql root password again).

hope this helps
monex

Re: MySQL n00b problem

Post by monex »

Hi,

I have updated the wiki page, so that it is documented how to get prompted for the password again or how to set up the correct mysql root password. Hope this avoids future confusions ;)
TrOjAn

Post by TrOjAn »

Thanks for that :)

I must say that theres a whole wealth of information on these forums but finding it is a nightmare, I hate to ask for help but after spending hours going though pages and pages my head hurts..

TrOjAn