To update or not update from 1.34?

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
juanboy2k

To update or not update from 1.34?

Post by juanboy2k »

I'm at 1.34.26 -- things are going well. This was last a full Ubuntu (20.04.3) rebuild and ZM reinstall from scratch from early last year.

I've recently been getting the little popup window when I access ZM in my browser, nudging me towards the 1.36.12 release.

I've been reviewing posts on the issue, and it doesn't look all that rosy -- ? I do daily database backups - but i'm just concerned about other gotchas?

Otherwise:

I just need to do the commands for replacing the ppa (Zoneminder-1.36) and running the upgrade only option ... ? then i should be good to go?

Do those commands exist in a document anywhere?

As it relates to UBUNTU/ZM administration, i'm like the weekend warrior, except it's more like a semi-annual warrior, (so stable is my little ZM environment).

thanks,
John
dougmccrary

Re: To update or not update from 1.34?

Post by dougmccrary »

I just need to do the commands for replacing the ppa (Zoneminder-1.36) and running the upgrade only option ... ? then i should be good to go?
The first part, yes. Good to go depends on what sort of camera setup you have. There were problems, as you know, and I think probably most of them are fixed. But you may have to spend some time to get everything working. There's new stuff that may be worth it - or not - to you.

If you have some extra computing power, I'd say try it alongside your present setup to get a feel for it. You'll need to set up a VM or use another machine to try it.
wavecrest1

Post by wavecrest1 »

I fall into the same camp as you in terms of time and previous stability. My setup is similar - ubuntu 20-04

That's basically what I did (swap repositories then do an apt update & upgrade)

It's working but not really useable -
o ... Some modetect events don't end as they did in 1.34 - I have loads of events with 9003 frames which should be ~80-90 long
o ... Events are not playing back correctly. The first event will play back OK and sometimes the second or third but after that they basically freeze for a while before the black "No more events" screen appears. This applies to both new events and archived events from before the upgrade. I've spent quite a lot of time trying to solve it but keep coming up with blanks
dr.gerg

Post by dr.gerg »

I added the new PPA, then did the normal sudo apt update, upgrade thing. it did take a while for the database updates to apply, and at one point I was sure the system had frozen. I later found out I was just impatient.

This release runs way better on my system than the 1.34. The whole thing is smoother and more reliable.

As always, your mileage may vary.
Magic919

Post by Magic919 »

I'm another happy user of 1.36 on Ubuntu. People will post when it's not 100%, so naturally it skews the view on how well it works.

If you have time to get it moved over, don't mind having to make changes and aren't running close to the limits on compute resource, then I'd say give it a go.
-