Multiport with Zoneminder and ZMninja and FireFox

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
pennyzm

Multiport with Zoneminder and ZMninja and FireFox

Post by pennyzm »

Zoneminder version: 1.36.10
Ubuntu: 20.04.3 kernel 5.11
ZMninja version: zmninja pro 1.6.4 running on ubuntu desktop 20.04.2 kernel 5.11
Cameras: 19 total

We have configured Multi-Port on Zoneminder following this guide from zmninja: https://medium.com/zmninja/multi-port-s ... 836a336c93.

Issues:
- There is no change in ZMninja. It still has the staccato streaming. The logs in it show "DEBUG ZMS Multiport reported: 0" and "DEBUG Multiport report:false". I've cleared the API cache and even tried a different device using ZMninja 1.6.9, but still same thing. I looked at the API using this guide https://zmninja.readthedocs.io/en/lates ... g-api.html, and APIs are working. They were working before multiport was enabled as well.
- Tried opening Montage in FireFox, but it just hangs and drives the load percentage way up.

Workaround on the desktop:
- Found someone who said they used chromium when FireFox wasn't working viewtopic.php?f=40&t=30684&p=122407&hil ... um#p122407. This seems to have done the trick and multiport works in chromium just fine.

@asker or anyone else who has been through this on ZMninja, is there a setting that needs to be tweaked in order for multiport streaming to work?
I realize ZMninja is eol as of the end of 2021, but have really enjoyed using it both on the desktop and iPhone and would like to continue until the end of year, but with multiport working if possible.

Thank you.
Kind regards,
pennyzm
dougmccrary

Re: Multiport with Zoneminder and ZMninja and FireFox

Post by dougmccrary »

maybe recheck your apache2 stuff - I've been using it for a while, and works for me in Firefox, and Ninja with no tweaks.
Make sure your min_streaming_port matches apache.
pennyzm

Post by pennyzm »

@dougmccrary,
Thank you for your response. I did recheck the apache2 configuration as you recommended.
What's odd is I changed nothing, but a day later both Firefox and zmNinja were working as advertised with multiport. I've been keeping an eye on it, but so far it continues to work now.

I did come across another one of your post viewtopic.php?t=30014 and had a related question to Firefox/Chromium. I created a user on zoneminder for the security team so they can look at the cameras.
There's two TV monitors.The way they pull up the cameras is through chromium > login > navigate to montage and then choose the camera group they want on the bottom screen. Open up a second tab > navigate to montage and choose the other group of cameras they want to view on the top screen.

At some point some of the camera images flicker in/out and some go blank. I had them hit F5 to refresh and things would come back to normal.
Would this be due to login expiring?
Would I need to tweak the cookie_lifetime or auth_hash_ttl to make the login infinite or at least close to it?

Kind regards,
pennyzm
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

I'm no expert in this area, but it does sometimes happen to me with no login.
And if it's only some but not all monitors selected, it's not expiring, it's just quitting.
Maybe one of the devs can explain further.

BTW, you did remember to reload apache after you made all your changes?
pennyzm

Post by pennyzm »

@dougmccrary, thank you for your help.
We reloaded apache, but we also ran updates which updated the os as well as zoneminder. Then we restarted the whole system.
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

So, it's working now? And you're welcome.
pennyzm

Post by pennyzm »

The multiport is working.
Security's montage screen still has cameras grey out then come back after a few minutes (sometimes longer). Not sure how to fix that yet. The camera view either comes back on it's own or hitting refresh or logging out/back in will bring it back.