High Res events black and no sound

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
danielmalaga

High Res events black and no sound

Post by danielmalaga »

Hello,

In short: saved high-res videos show only black image in event watching and have no sound.

Longer:
I have some Reolink 810A cameras and use their sub-stream (640x360px, 7fps). Works perfect with sound and saving/reviewing saved files.

Now I added the main stream of one (3840x2160px, 15fps) to be triggered by its sub-stream. It captures, I can see it in the monitor, it also saves event videos with a preview thumbnail in the event list. But when I want to watch it, I get only a black image and no sound.

When I export the video, I can watch it perfectly in VLC, but also without sound. So it seems the video is saved correct (apart of the missing sound) but can't be reviewed within ZoneMinder.

My questions:
what can I do so that
- the high res videos can be watched within ZoneMinder?
- the high res videos also save the sound?
(yes, I have checked he box "Whether to store the audio stream when saving an event" in both the sub- and the main-stream monitor)

I am completely new to ZoneMinder, so I don't know what useful data I should post here, please excuse if something is missing...
ZoneMinder 1.36.10 (installed from Opensuse One-click-install)
Opensuse 15.2
laptop with i7 processor and 16GB memory.
4 Reolink 810a cameras
sub-streams source with rtmp
main-stream (right now only 1 cam) source with rtsp (because rtmp only works for sub-stream), but I left "control" with rtmp

Thanks for your help!
iconnor

Re: High Res events black and no sound

Post by iconnor »

It is likely h265 which your browser can't play.

Doesn't explain the lack of audio though.
danielmalaga

Post by danielmalaga »

Yes, it is h265.

If I change in storage from Camera Passthrough to Encode (h264) I can see the video in ZoneMinder.

But it still has no sound (sub-stream has)...
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

I would suspect that the camera is configured to not include audio on that stream. Anyways we would need debug level 3 logs to tell anything.
danielmalaga

Post by danielmalaga »

Ok, I tried to produce a debug log. It's during 8 minutes for this camera and has 400'000 lines (almost 60MB). I uploaded it to my server:
https://www.daniel-bauer.com/div/zmc_m7.log

My poor laptop came to its limits... What i did

- stopped the app (button on the top right in the zm browser window)
- changed all log types to "debug"
- set debug level to 3
- checked the debug box
- started the app
- waited that the cameras appeared (which now took a long time, load went to almost 10)
- triggered a movement, so that a video would be saved
- stopped the app
(changed back logs to "warning", unchecked the debug boxes, set debug level to 1)

The saved high res video is without sound.

(in the published log I changed username/password/IP-Number)
xscreamxx

Post by xscreamxx »

I have the same exact problem. Same setup (except RLC-820A camera). Lowres works with audio, but highres is silent. Any ideas would be appreciated.
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

Ok the black screen is expected at this time, your browser cannot play h265 video.

The audio problem is weird, but is explained by the warnings in your logs:
WAR-zm_ffmpeg.cpp/69 [Malformed AAC bitstream detected: use the audio bitstream filter 'aac_adtstoasc' to fix it ('-bsf:a aac_adtstoasc' option with ffmpeg)]

Which will likely require code changes to support. Looks like the changes aren't too bad, just need some way to toggle it on.
kitkat

Post by kitkat »

iconnor wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:01 pm Ok the black screen is expected at this time, your browser cannot play h265 video.

The audio problem is weird, but is explained by the warnings in your logs:
WAR-zm_ffmpeg.cpp/69 [Malformed AAC bitstream detected: use the audio bitstream filter 'aac_adtstoasc' to fix it ('-bsf:a aac_adtstoasc' option with ffmpeg)]

Which will likely require code changes to support. Looks like the changes aren't too bad, just need some way to toggle it on.
Could this (bsf:a=aac_adtstoasc) be entered into the "Optional Encoder Parameters" box on the Storage tab, or is that strictly for libx264, etc. sub-settings (x264opts/x264-params)?

Interestingly, the aac_adtstoasc documentation says, "This filter is required for example when copying an AAC stream from a raw ADTS AAC or an MPEG-TS container to MP4A-LATM, to an FLV file, or to MOV/MP4 files and related formats such as 3GP or M4A. Please note that it is auto-inserted for MP4A-LATM and MOV/MP4 and related formats." so it looks like it should already be getting used for .mp4 files.

Maybe a field similar to the Encoder parameters but for generic ffmpeg options would be useful? (As if you haven't got enough to do already!)