[Solved]Cannot Delete Filters and other notes on Filters

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
lyallp

[Solved]Cannot Delete Filters and other notes on Filters

Post by lyallp »

In the filter definition screen, the dropdown selects a filter which is then updated.

The delete button does not work.

A workaround is to simply make the filter do nothing, which, is sub-optimal.

The way I deleted a filter was to blow the filter row away in the ZoneMinder database table 'Filters' using phpmyadmin.

And now... the wish list :)

It would be nice if there was a checkbox for filters which was "Enabled/Disabled" so you could setup a filter, and enable/disable it.

I guess you could simply say 'dont run in background and dont run concurrently', but the whole point of a enable/disable checkbox is you keep all the settings you configured, way back when, when you recalled why you did such a thing.

Also, is it really necessary to show the Filter ID in the dropdown? By experimentation, I found the filters are sorted alphabetically.

What would be really nice is to ditch the dropdown altogether and put a list of filters, down the left/right (theme/CSS determined?) side, which, when one is selected, it's contents are shown on the right, a bit like windows explorer. While we are at it, being able to 'drag/drop' a filter up and down the list, so that the filter you access more often can be put at the top, a bit like 'favorites.

The controversial one, probably a few people would disagree : Removal of the *& characters from the filters, it's a bit tacky. Maybe in the left list, a checkbox for backround/concurrent/active.

Just a couple of thoughts....
Last edited by lyallp on Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
...Lyall
dougmccrary

Re: Cannot Delete Filters and other notes on Filters

Post by dougmccrary »

It would be nice if there was a checkbox for filters which was "Enabled/Disabled" so you could setup a filter, and enable/disable it.
Uh, that's what the *& is for. Lock Rows doesn't matter, so no symbol for that.
lyallp

Re: Cannot Delete Filters and other notes on Filters

Post by lyallp »

My point regarding the disabled check box is that you could disable the filter whilst retaining the Background/concurrent settings.

Maybe it's as simple as renaming 'Background' to "Enabled". Background is sort of 'techy', after all.

Whilst concurrent, I am sort of confused as to why that even needs to exist from an end user perspective.

Why not run all filters concurrently or, maybe, run up to 5 concurrently at a time - all this happens behind the scenes, no need to bother the user with this sort of technicality.

I can understand the existence of a concurrency parameter, maybe more memory, but it can't be more than the image buffers use.
Maybe, Database connections and usage would clog up with the load of many concurrent filters running.
Maybe for long running filters, so they don't logjam other filters behind them, especially since filters are run every 20 seconds, by default.

One last point, however, I fail to see why the 'Message' settings are not in the Filters, but a 'global', you can't have different 'Messages' for each filter.
You can send an Email differently for each Filter, why not a Message?
It strikes me that messages are a legacy option before filters could send customised emails...
...Lyall