Can't generate video file from jpeg stream images

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
uk-user123

Can't generate video file from jpeg stream images

Post by uk-user123 »

Hello!

This should be an easy one, but I can't figure it out with the 'new' interface. I've been using ZM for ages! I'm on v1.36.5 now (Centos 7).

My ZM pulls a jpeg stream from the camera and stores them on disk, but I would like to create a .mpeg or other video file from them for a few events. I have done this before, but now I can't make it work.

# which ffmpeg returns a path which is correctly set in options.
# ffmpeg -h gives output

Options / Images / OPT_FFMPEG is checked.

I have archvied the events in question, and when I click on one event to view it, it pops up and plays. I have controls in the upper left to:

Go back / Refresh / Rename / (archive, greyed because it is already) / Unarchive / Edit / Export / Stats / Frames / (delete, n/a due to being archived)

Export seems the closest. If I click that, leave all default buttons checked, and press 'EXPORT' it says "Exporting" below and nothing happens. This is for one event, 22 seconds, 276 frames.

I would appreciate any clues or instructions. Thanks.
iconnor

Re: Can't generate video file from jpeg stream images

Post by iconnor »

I think you would have to use a filter to do it.

If there was a button for that before it is gone now.

I'll take a look at adding it back.
uk-user123

Post by uk-user123 »

Thanks! That worked. I probably would not have thought of that. Yeah, for someone with a small set up, it's convenient to be able to just click a button to generate a video from an event one is currently playing back, and to be able to download it.
vrm42z

Post by vrm42z »

iconnor wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:55 pm I think you would have to use a filter to do it.

If there was a button for that before it is gone now.

I'll take a look at adding it back.
That would be wonderful. Lack of that button is the only reason I can't upgrade from 1.34.26. I use it every day.
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

You could just have ZM encode using preset=ultrafast, which is basically an mjpeg stream in an mp4. cpu overhead is pretty low.

There are a few tradeoffs, but I will put that button back.