Live view with H264 stream instead of MJPEG

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
gkmac

Live view with H264 stream instead of MJPEG

Post by gkmac »

After years of running ZoneMinder (now at 1.34) with an old BT878 card and analogue cameras I'm trying out v1.36.7 on a spare machine with an IP camera in the view to upgrading, and so far I really like what I'm seeing.

I've set the "Video Writer" option to "Camera passthrough" which seamlessly records the IP stream as a nice compact .mp4 file without those hundreds of JPEG files. In the event replay view the .mp4 file that was recorded is simply streamed to the web browser which helps a lot with network bandwidth.

The only niggle is that despite setting "Save JPEGs" to "Disabled" the live camera view still seems to be converting the incoming frames to MJPEG before sending them to the web browser, which with things the way they are streams at nearly one megabyte a second. In the event replay view there's a "Codec" dropdown where I can choose between MP4 and MJPEG, but this doesn't seem to be in the live view.

Is there a way to embed the IP camera's native H264 stream within the live camera view, without this intermediate MJPEG conversion?
gkmac
iconnor

Re: Live view with H264 stream instead of MJPEG

Post by iconnor »

Not at this time.

Working on it but not much funding.
gkmac

Re: Live view with H264 stream instead of MJPEG

Post by gkmac »

Thanks for letting me know you're working on it and it's not something I'm missing, if that makes any sense. I'm sure I could wrangle VLC to view the streams if I got desperate.

Just PayPal'd a donation to you.
gkmac