Possible to upgrade from 1.30.4?

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
davidma

Possible to upgrade from 1.30.4?

Post by davidma »

Hello I have an old install on Zoneminder 1.30.4 on Ubuntu Server 18.04 I believe. Is it worth even trying to upgrade this or should I just do a clean install? Thanks.
iconnor

Re: Possible to upgrade from 1.30.4?

Post by iconnor »

ZM should easily upgrade your database just fine. I have seen hiccups while doing the upgrade for various clients. If you run into troubles we can help.
Just make sure you take a db backup.
davidma

Post by davidma »

Hello, I tried to upgrade but it had some error during the conversion of the db (sorry I should have taken a photo but was doing three things at once). But I did end up also upgrading the server to Ubuntu Server 12.04 from the old LTS as well as switching from mysqld to mariadb so quite a bit was done.

So I just went ahead and purged out the old install and db and performed a new install of zoneminder 1.36.7. I now have a mostly functional install. Just getting an odd cannot exec zmdc.pl error (not found) every now and then and exporting to video isn't workign despite the ffmpeg path being correct. I'll need to investigate those more to see what is up.

On the bright side ZMninja is working perfectly with the install.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

davidma wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:44 pm Hello, I tried to upgrade but it had some error during the conversion of the db (sorry I should have taken a photo but was doing three things at once). But I did end up also upgrading the server to Ubuntu Server 12.04 from the old LTS as well as switching from mysqld to mariadb so quite a bit was done.

So I just went ahead and purged out the old install and db and performed a new install of zoneminder 1.36.7. I now have a mostly functional install. Just getting an odd cannot exec zmdc.pl error (not found) every now and then and exporting to video isn't workign despite the ffmpeg path being correct. I'll need to investigate those more to see what is up.

On the bright side ZMninja is working perfectly with the install.
Hope you meant Ubuntu 20.04.

A couple of tweaks for your database:
These should be done before installing Zoneminder
Edit the Mariadb config file
sudo nano /etc/mysql/mariadb.conf.d/50-server.cnf

Add these paramaters in the [mysql] area
innodb_file_per_table = ON
innodb_buffer_pool_ size = 256M
innodb_log_file_size - 32M

service mysql restart

Also install mysqltuner and run it from time to time. As events in the database build up you will need to change config settings.

A good idea to reset the timezone on Ubuntu:
sudo timedatectl set-timezone America/New_York
but use your timezone
davidma

Post by davidma »

Thanks! Yes, I meant 20.04! lol