Network and remote install

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
Yagin

Network and remote install

Post by Yagin »

Hey.
I want to create an installation where I have a number of wifi cameras sending a constant feed to a local server.
This server i want to duplicate or just send all footage off to a server hosted off site.
Or, if possible to send footage from local lan out to server @static ip hosted off site.
I mention this as a company I work for wants to monitor a room where items have been stolen from from within a hotel. So we would get a better look at crims and acts as a deterant. And footage is off site.

Is this possible

Thanks
parky

Re: Network and remote install

Post by parky »

It's not really a ZM focus on this as it's more how you deal with the vast amount of data produced. A system records 300-500mb an hour per camera on 1080p. You can reduce that by accepting a lower resolution

Either copy the event files to another server and then off to your external site or have another identical ZM server on your LAN from which you then send the events externally. The additional server will just use the same streams from the cameras and do another copy
The external copy all depends upon your bandwidth to your external IP address. Using compression before shipping events out to your off site backup might be needed

As to recording straight out to your external IP address, I would suspect is not possible unless you have some serious pipe as the local disk writing is quite intense
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Another option is to have a Zoneminder server off site which connects to cams that are port forwarded through the hotel firewall. I have done this in a pinch when a clients Zoneminder server tanked and I set up a server at home to capture events but not continuous stream capture. The resolution and frame rate on the cams was low and there was not a lot of bandwidth used. The client only had 15 meg upload. As I said, this was a temp solution until I could get a new server set up.
A more secure option would be to connect to the hotel LAN via a VPN tunnel. This would be more secure but the cam resolution and frame rate would half to be low.

BTW, cams at 640x480 @ 5 FPS have caught crooks! 1080P is not needed in most cases.
bkjaya1952

Post by bkjaya1952 »

You can use Teamviewer or Realvnc cloud connection to view/control your system remotely