Upgrade 1.36.5 to 1.36.7 - Montage image quality degraded

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
markuscis

Upgrade 1.36.5 to 1.36.7 - Montage image quality degraded

Post by markuscis »

Hi, As you can see I don't post very often but do want you all to know that Zoneminder is FANTASTIC. I'm a software developer and do recognize and appreciate all the work and creativity put into this product. I will certainly be donating!

UPDATED 9/16 at 10PM pst

At any rate I've run into an interesting issue and since this version was recently released 9/13 wondered if anyone has seen this. It may be something changed during my upgrade.

I'm running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Focal, new install about a month ago, and had 1.36.5 running and working really nice. In montage view the quality was awesome(local HighBW) and never had any issues, stayed up all day long monitoring. I have 6 cameras but only display 3 Wide during the day.

I did an update and upgrade to the system which also upgraded to Zoneminder 1.36.7. After the upgrade the montage view by default displays Scale=Fixed Width/Height, Layout=3 Wide. The image quality is terrible/grainy. If I select Scale=Scale to Fit and Layout=3 Wide the display changes to "1 Wide"(3 cameras in a vertical column) even though "Layout=3 Wide" but the image quality is awesome. If I refresh it goes back to 3 Wide but Scale changes back to Fixed Width/Height with grainy image quality.
NOTE - Leaving the Montage view in scale to fit with 3 wide but viewing 1 wide the picture remains high quality.

If I select a single camera to display from the console the image quality is awesome but then after a period of time running the quality automatically changes to grainy after about 5 minutes. If I refresh the browser the quality is again awesome but then after a period of time it automatically changes to grainy again. Another minor point but could be a clue is the single camera display shows "State: Idle/Alert - xx fps xx.xx fps xx.xx fps" all 3 with different values. The first value seems to be correct for this camera.
Good quality image
Good quality image
GoodQuality1.JPG (197.55 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
Grainy Image
Grainy Image
GrainyQuality1.JPG (172.86 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
I have tried Chrome, Edge and Firefox all with the same results. I have rebooted and rerun update and upgrade a few times but nothing new.

In the log files at the time the single camera browser image changes to grainy I find the following in the log files

Test1 instance: This seems to coincide with the image quality change in the browser.

2021-09-16 07:38:16 web_js 21152 ERR getStreamCmdResponse stream error: Socket /run/zm/zms-657774s.sock does not exist. This file is created by zms, and since it does not exist, either zms did not run, or zms exited early. Please check your zms logs and ensure that CGI is enabled in apache and check that the PATH_ZMS is set correctly. Make sure that ZM is actually recording. If you are trying to view a live stream and the capture process (zmc) is not running then zms will exit. Please go to http://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/lat ... window-etc for more information. - checkStreamForErrors() ?view=watch&mid=3 -

2021-09-16 07:38:16 web_php 21152 ERR Socket /run/zm/zms-657774s.sock does not exist. This file is created by zms, and since it does not exist, either zms did not run, or zms exited early. Please check your zms logs and ensure that CGI is enabled in apache and check that the PATH_ZMS is set correctly. Make sure that ZM is actually recording. If you are trying to view a live stream and the capture process (zmc) is not running then zms will exit. Please go to http://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/lat ... i-can-see-

Repeated again Test2 after a refresh from above - : This seems to coincide with the image quality change in the browser.

2021-09-16 07:58:21 web_js 22040 ERR getStreamCmdResponse stream error: Socket /run/zm/zms-806202s.sock does not exist. This file is created by zms, and since it does not exist, either zms did not run, or zms exited early. Please check your zms logs and ensure that CGI is enabled in apache and check that the PATH_ZMS is set correctly. Make sure that ZM is actually recording. If you are trying to view a live stream and the capture process (zmc) is not running then zms will exit. Please go to http://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/lat ... window-etc for more information. - checkStreamForErrors() ?view=watch&mid=3 -

2021-09-16 07:58:21 web_php 22040 ERR Socket /run/zm/zms-806202s.sock does not exist. This file is created by zms, and since it does not exist, either zms did not run, or zms exited early. Please check your zms logs and ensure that CGI is enabled in apache and check that the PATH_ZMS is set correctly. Make sure that ZM is actually recording. If you are trying to view a live stream and the capture process (zmc) is not running then zms will exit. Please go to http://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/lat ... window-etc for more information.

Really appreciate any ideas or suggestions.
Thank You
Mark
dougmccrary

Re: Upgrade 1.36.5 to 1.36.7 - Montage image quality degraded

Post by dougmccrary »

I suspect zms is getting overrun...can you reduce frame rate and/or resolution to see if that helps?
The bit with how the scale and layout work has been more or less that way for a while. Not likely relevant to the quality issue.