Slow loading of event playback videos

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
metasbals34

Slow loading of event playback videos

Post by metasbals34 »

ZM 1.36.5
All cameras recording on passthrough, using mpeg playback via web console or zmNinja.

When I want to replay an event, it seems to take a long time to load (almost as if its loading the whole video; maybe it is?) It can take up to 40 seconds sometimes to load an event on the web console or zmNinja (and that's when on the LAN). Once it's loaded, I can jump to anywhere in the event without any noticeable buffering, so that's what makes me think the whole event tutuapp
is being "buffered" by the client before playback.

I can avoid this altogether if I set "movflags=frag_custom+dash+delay_moov" in the storage options for each camera, then videos start almost instantly, but then I obviously lose the ability to view an in-progress recording.

Is this simply just the trade-off I have to make, or is there a way to stick with the default encoder options AND speed up the time it takes for an event to start playing? I've tried playing with the bitrate and FPS on the relevant bandwidth tab and they don't seem to have any effect on the playback.

Loving ZM 1.36 BTW, got it running really nicely, and it seems really stable, with considerably less CPU and RAM usage.