Ever-increasing number of processes

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
jsylvia007

Ever-increasing number of processes

Post by jsylvia007 »

Howdy!

I've updated from 1.34 to 1.36 on Ubuntu, currently running v1.36.5 from iconnor's repository.

I monitor my system with Zabbix, and since the upgrade, I've noticed a steadily increasing number of processes (graph attached). The only packages updated were zoneminder related. This VM is dedicated solely to
chart.png
chart.png (40.04 KiB) Viewed 2300 times
Any idea what's going on? I'm sure I can reboot and bring things back down to reality, but the system was freshly rebooted after the install a couple days ago, so I think it's something else...

Configuration:
Ubuntu 20.04.2
Running in a VM with 8 vCPUs and 32GB Memory
16 Monitors, but only 8 real devices (I use a trigger resolution and a linked monitor to record high-def).
Memory utilization is around 6GB

Count of Apache Processes: ~150
Count of zmc Processes: ~16
Count of zmu Processes: ~130
Magic919

Re: Ever-increasing number of processes

Post by Magic919 »

It’s something that can happen. Haven’t seen anyone get to the bottom of it.
-
jsylvia007

Post by jsylvia007 »

It doesn't seem to cause any performance issues, but definitely isn't exactly a great sign...
jsylvia007

Post by jsylvia007 »

So... I've made some changes based on the recommendations here: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=31006

Unfortunately, it hasn't made any difference...

Anyone have any ideas, there's obviously something going on here, but my guess is that most folks aren't monitoring to this level as it doesn't seem to cause issues with performance.
jsylvia007

Post by jsylvia007 »

Further digging points to the fact that it's DEFINITELY apache processes that continue to increase.

I've tried limits.conf and also adding systemd variables to the apache2.service file. Neither results in either an indication that my values are being honored, or a fix to the problem.

The process count continues to grow at a faster rate when I have ZMNinja open on a spare desktop to monitor the system like a security dashboard. I often keep it open for 10+ hours a day. It makes sense, as that's where the bulk of the apache process threads would come from, but the fact that they aren't being killed effectively is curious.