ONVIF camera PTZ setup

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
c00l8t

ONVIF camera PTZ setup

Post by c00l8t »

Can I please ask for some help in setting up PTZ on a ONVIF camera.

Here is the information that I have:
1) Manufacturer camera config tool provides the following for PTZ: Address: 1; Protocol: Pelco_D; Baud rate 9600; Data Bit: 8bit; Stop Bit: 1; Parity: None
2) ONVIF decive manager - PTZ Configuration: name: Config0; token: PTZConfig0Token; use count: 2 [...] default PTZ timeout: PT10S; default settings point to: https://www.onvif.org/ver10/tptz/....

I have successfully zoneminder to the video stream but I am not able to use zoneminder to control the PTZ functionality of the camera.
I am able to use the ONVIF device manager AND IP Camer P2P client to connect and successfully control the camera's PTZ functionality.

I mainly focused on using the Pelco-D script provided by zoneminder to try to control the camera. I edited the Pelco-D script to change the baud rate to 9600 since the default rate differed from the information outlined above.

In zoneminder I am currently using Control Type: Pelco-D; Control Device: (blank); Control address: username:password@IP:port

I am still not having any success to control the PTZ functionality from within zoneminder. I would greatly appreciate any help or next steps to try.
alabamatoy

Re: ONVIF camera PTZ setup

Post by alabamatoy »

Any error messages in log?

Try turning on debug then restart ZM, then poke at the PTZ, then turn debug off and restart again. Then go look at resulting logs. You should be able to see what is happening. If not, you may need to do a pcap of traffic to/from ZM and camera.

The "control device" is used to set realm for digest authentication. May need to get a copy of the camera OEMs API to determine what kind of auth is required. Chances are it will be digest auth if new camera.
ChuckSmith

Post by ChuckSmith »

I have been experiencing a similar issue. Onvif Device Manager can control my camera's position, and and I can capture the network traffic with wireshark. However, I do not see any PTZ network traffic between my server (VM) and camera, when monitoring with tshark. I see no zmcontrol warnings or errors in the log.

My ZoneMinder v1.36.5, on ubuntu 18.4, is running on a TrueNAS 12.0-U4.1 VM. This was a clean install, not an upgrade.

Also, using the TrueNAS ZoneMinder 1.34 plugin, in a TrueNAS jail, clicking on Control, would open a new window. Doing the same, in my ZoneMinder 1.36 VM, replaces the currently open Montage, and the control icons are badly arranged.

Chuck Smith
c00l8t

Post by c00l8t »

I have been trying to find the time to enable debug logging and provide additional answers. However, since this camera sits on a production box I am planning on moving the camera to my test network and debug from there. Thank you for everyone who is trying to help ... an update is coming soon
BNLGuy

Post by BNLGuy »

Since you plan to use Pelco-D, which is a serial protocol, you'll need to put the path for your serial port in the Control Device field (eg, /dev/ttyUSB0 or whatever number is for your serial com port).

Hope that helps.
alabamatoy

Post by alabamatoy »

I really dont mean to sound insulting, but do you have the PTZ cofig setup in the monitor? Its got to be configured for control, then select the control script, set can pan, can tilt etc etc.

??