No end times for recorded events - WILL PAY MONEY TO FIX THIS

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
Corvus85

No end times for recorded events - WILL PAY MONEY TO FIX THIS

Post by Corvus85 »

Hi,

Zoneminder is running in a docker container within Unraid.

System specs:
M/B: ASRock Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. Version P2.50. Dated: 02/26/2018
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz
HVM: Enabled
IOMMU: Enabled
Cache: 256 KiB, 1 MB, 6 MB
Memory: 16 GiB DDR4 (max. installable capacity 32 GiB)

I've set up an external trigger within Home Assistant to trigger recording in Zoneminder.
Basically, it changes the state of my monitor from 'monitor' to 'record'.

After testing, it works flawlessly, however, even when I manually change the state of my monitor back from 'record' to 'monitor', the event still has no end time, meaning that Zoneminder still thinks it's recording.

What am I doing wrong? And how can I fix this?

Edit: I'm getting desperate. Nobody can tell me what the issue is or how to fix it. I will pay REAL MONEY to anyone who helps me fix this problem. I'm deadly serious. No other project I've worked on has made me feel this defeated.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-07-02 103536.jpg
Screenshot 2021-07-02 103536.jpg (166.36 KiB) Viewed 9237 times
Last edited by Corvus85 on Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Corvus85

Re: No end times for recorded events

Post by Corvus85 »

Anyone at all?

I struggle to believe I'm the only one who's experienced this problem.
Magic919

Post by Magic919 »

Just tested this on a 1.36.5 install. Manually changed to record and back to monitor about a minute later. Has an end time.

Appears in the logs -

Code: Select all

Monitor-1: image_count:1282 - Closing event 1669, shutting down
-
Corvus85

Post by Corvus85 »

Magic919 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:24 am Just tested this on a 1.36.5 install. Manually changed to record and back to monitor about a minute later. Has an end time.

Appears in the logs -

Code: Select all

Monitor-1: image_count:1282 - Closing event 1669, shutting down
Ok, well that's great for you, but why isn't mine doing the same? How can I fix this?
Corvus85

Post by Corvus85 »

I just tried manually switching it from 'monitor' to 'record', then waiting a minute, then switching back to 'monitor'.

My previous events now have an end time, and they say 'recovered' underneath them - and my new event now has no end time.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here??
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-07-05 185300.jpg
Screenshot 2021-07-05 185300.jpg (205.14 KiB) Viewed 9192 times
Magic919

Post by Magic919 »

I'd suggest checking the logs, upping the debug level on those.

Doing a quick grep on the source files suggests zmrecover.pl or zmaudit.pl could potentially add the recovered text. I think this is likely not the cause.
-
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

zmaudit.pl is cleaning up. You should turn it off.

I think I responded to you in the chat box, but the lack of EndTime means that zmc CRASHED before it could update the db entry. Your logs will have the answers. It may be that finishing the event is taking too long and zmdc.pl is killing zmc. Maybe try increasing Options->System->MAX_RESTART_DELAY
Corvus85

Post by Corvus85 »

Magic919 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:30 am I'd suggest checking the logs, upping the debug level on those.

Doing a quick grep on the source files suggests zmrecover.pl or zmaudit.pl could potentially add the recovered text. I think this is likely not the cause.
Sorry but that may as well have been ancient Greek to me. Can you explain it like I'm 5?

How exactly do I 'up the debug level' on the logs, and what's a 'grep on the source files'?

Please just pretend I'm literally 5 years old, because I've been struggling with this issue for weeks and all I've gotten is dead ends. I'm willing to donate to anyone who can give me a solution. This is all that's preventing me from having the ideal CCTV system.
Corvus85

Post by Corvus85 »

iconnor wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:52 pm zmaudit.pl is cleaning up. You should turn it off.

I think I responded to you in the chat box, but the lack of EndTime means that zmc CRASHED before it could update the db entry. Your logs will have the answers. It may be that finishing the event is taking too long and zmdc.pl is killing zmc. Maybe try increasing Options->System->MAX_RESTART_DELAY
Hey thanks again for helping me on the chat, however so that everyone can follow along, we determined since then that this wasn't the problem.
This is still very much an issue.
SkippyDo

Post by SkippyDo »

I'm not running 1.36 (running 1.34), but...

Check your system log files.

I had a similar issue a few days ago. Events weren't being ended: was generating huge video files! I'd thought that ZM's database was corrupted so I restored some older ones only to find that that didn't solve the problem. Poked around in the system (Debian Buster) logs to find ld.so puking on zmc(?). System had been up for quite a while so I decided to reboot, after doing so the problem hasn't materialized (now several days). This was the only time I've run across anything like this: and I've found no other similar mention (until I ran across this thread).
Corvus85

Post by Corvus85 »

SkippyDo wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:56 pm I'm not running 1.36 (running 1.34), but...

Check your system log files.

I had a similar issue a few days ago. Events weren't being ended: was generating huge video files! I'd thought that ZM's database was corrupted so I restored some older ones only to find that that didn't solve the problem. Poked around in the system (Debian Buster) logs to find ld.so puking on zmc(?). System had been up for quite a while so I decided to reboot, after doing so the problem hasn't materialized (now several days). This was the only time I've run across anything like this: and I've found no other similar mention (until I ran across this thread).
What am I checking on in the logs? Can't I just paste them here and have someone look at it? I don't even know what I'm looking at!

I've restarted my server that ZM is working on, and manually switched my camera from 'monitor' to 'record' and back again, and AGAIN there's no end time on the recording.

How is it that I'm the only one this is happening to without any clear cause???

What do I have to do to get this goddamn thing working?? I've worked on a lot of projects in my life, and I have NEVER had one made me feel as defeated as this has.

I'm willing to pay REAL MONEY to anyone who can help me FINALLY FIX THIS. PLEASE.
SkippyDo

Re: No end times for recorded events - WILL PAY MONEY TO FIX THIS

Post by SkippyDo »

What is the operating system that you're running on? Is it a new install? Also helpful to know would be what hardware you're using. Really need to know what environment ZM is operating in.

Is this problem happening only when using Home Assistant (I have zero knowledge of HA)? Is this a new integration (HA & ZM)? When was the last time things worked without this problem showing up? If it once was working OK, what was changed after that?

People aren't going to jump in to help, paid or otherwise, without knowing what you have. Personal anecdotal: I've had issues in the past and have had to reinstall the operating system; this isn't trivial- signing up to get an application to work and then having to reinstall an operating system.

Need to focus on lconnor's suggestions. zmc is responsible for handling the video; if it crashes ZM won't get an end time on the capture. I'll note that this is what was happening to me (due to corrupted system memory, which, btw, isn't necessarily specific to the version of ZM).
Corvus85

Post by Corvus85 »

SkippyDo wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:20 am What is the operating system that you're running on? Is it a new install? Also helpful to know would be what hardware you're using. Really need to know what environment ZM is operating in.

Is this problem happening only when using Home Assistant (I have zero knowledge of HA)? Is this a new integration (HA & ZM)? When was the last time things worked without this problem showing up? If it once was working OK, what was changed after that?

People aren't going to jump in to help, paid or otherwise, without knowing what you have. Personal anecdotal: I've had issues in the past and have had to reinstall the operating system; this isn't trivial- signing up to get an application to work and then having to reinstall an operating system.

Need to focus on lconnor's suggestions. zmc is responsible for handling the video; if it crashes ZM won't get an end time on the capture. I'll note that this is what was happening to me (due to corrupted system memory, which, btw, isn't necessarily specific to the version of ZM).
1. It's running in a docker container within Unraid.
System specs:
M/B: ASRock Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. Version P2.50. Dated: 02/26/2018
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz
HVM: Enabled
IOMMU: Enabled
Cache: 256 KiB, 1 MB, 6 MB
Memory: 16 GiB DDR4 (max. installable capacity 32 GiB)

2. No, it also happens when I'm running Zoneminder exclusively and manually switching the camera from 'monitor' to 'record' and vice versa through the ZM web-app. I notice that even when I restart the docker container, there is still no end time, and ONLY when I reboot Unraid completely and restart the Zoneminder docker container is there finally end times on my recordings.

3. That's fine, but I need steps on how to troubleshoot and fix it. Additionally, he and I were chatting in another app after he sent that reply and we worked out that wasn't what the problem was anyway.
SkippyDo

Post by SkippyDo »

This is way over my pay grade!

I don't recognize any operating system there. Is there a VM involved? (not familiar with any of this stuff; know nothing of docker).

Although you didn't answer, I'm figuring you've never had this working (HA or not).

IMO, a security system should be on a dedicated system.
Magic919

Post by Magic919 »

Unraid is the OS here.

There is no VM, but the Docker container is the closest thing to that. Bit like a VM with no kernel, as it uses the kernel of the OS on the host.
-