Event not loading

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
whoop

Event not loading

Post by whoop »

I have multiple instances of events not loading in the page. It is happening for al monitors but only sometimes. Once in every 20 events on estimate. Everything in the page shows up, even file size etc. and the motion bar at the bottom of the video. Only the video is missing and the page keeps on trying to load the page.

I can even view the frames separately.

Any ideas?
whoop

Re: Event not loading

Post by whoop »

So any idea how I should be finding the cause of this problem.. It's getting worse (more videos not showing up when trying to view the event).

I think there is actually something wrong with the event itself because It's not that an event sometimes does not display and sometimes does. Either it displays always or it never does.

All the frames are there (the jpegs), the time is correct, the alarm frames are correct. The score, disk size. everything seems correct.
The page just keeps on loading and after a while it just stops loading. No error message (also no error message in the html source). Everything is there except for the image feed.
The previous or next event buttons at the bottom don't work on the page that is not loading the video feed. After clicking either of these It gives "event was not found" which is not weird because the eid in the url is always 0 for these pages.
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

Sounds like you may have a storage problem.
Can you find the events directly, or are they really missing?
whoop

Post by whoop »

dougmccrary wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:54 am Sounds like you may have a storage problem.
Can you find the events directly, or are they really missing?
Thank you very much for responding.
What do you mean with: "Can you find the events directly"?

I can see the event in the events page. Every value seems legit. I can open the event but the page just keeps loading. All the frames for the event seem present. I can even view the individual frames in the frames view for this event.

It's just that it won't show the event stream for some events and the buttons are also broken (as described above)

It's not a connection issue (as in bad wifi) or something. I started a browser (wired) on the local network and the events that are broken are still broken.
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

I mean look in/at your event storage area.
If you have default settings, for a given monitor it will be /var/cache/zoneminder/events/M/yyyy-mm-dd/id-video.mp4
M is monitor number, id is what you see in that column. It should be playable in whatever .mp4 player you have.
cybersteel8

Post by cybersteel8 »

I think I've found a bit more information for this problem you're describing. It sounds like the same problem I'm having.

If you check your web server's error log (mine is at /var/log/apache2/error.log) and you load up the event that isn't loading, do you get any of the following errors?
"AH01220: Timeout waiting for output from CGI script /usrlib/zoneminder/cgi-bin/nph-zms"
"AH01215: corrupted size vs. prev_size: /usr/lib/zoneminder/cgi-bin/nph-zms"
"AH01215: free(): corrupted unsorted chunks: /usr/lib/zoneminder/cgi-bin/nph-zms"

I am getting these errors only when I view an event that does not load successfully. Weirdly, this doesn't happen for most events. The minority of my events are working, but as the majority is not, it is very easy to trigger this error. All I have to do is load up an event that is not showing. Refreshing the page with F5 triggers the error every time in apache's error log. Doing the same for a working event is not causing an error to be logged.

I have no idea if this is at all related to your problem, but as you're experiencing the same thing as me, we might be in the same bucket.

For reference, I am using Unraid 6.9.2 and using dlandon's zoneminder docker image for unraid. It is a fresh installation of zoneminder, as any other attempts to resolve this myself have failed. New database, new appdata, new everything.
whoop

Post by whoop »

Thank you both very much for your response.

@dougmccrary :
I have looked at the disk location for an event that is not starting in the eventstream on the event page. Files are present. My current configuration does not create an mp4 file but a bunch of jpg files.
I have noticed that the event page shows the amount of frames but when I look at the location where the jpgs are stored there are a few more there. As an example for one broken event the page states 73 frames but on the filesystem I count 80 jpg captures. For events that are working correctly the frames and file count are the same. For all instances I checked there are always a few less frames in the page then the actual jpg count.
I also checked all the jpg's for a broken event; none of them seem corrupt. I can view all all of them in a image viewer.
Hope this makes sense...

@cybersteel8 :
If i check /var/log/httpd/error_log I do not get any entries there when I refresh or enter a broken event page. But /var/log/httpd/ssl_error_log does give me about the same output as you:

Code: Select all

* [cgid:error] free(): corrupted unsorted chunks: /usr/libexec/zoneminder/cgi-bin/nph-zms, referer
* Timeout waiting for output from CGI script /usr/libexec/zoneminder/cgi-bin/nph-zms, referer
* CGI process didn't exit, sending SIGKILL, referer

Not completely the same but close. These errors are logged when we are trying to view the event itself. But it is my assumption that something has gone wrong during the creation of the event.
Also hope this makes sense...
cybersteel8

Post by cybersteel8 »

whoop wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:31 pm I have noticed that the event page shows the amount of frames but when I look at the location where the jpgs are stored there are a few more there. As an example for one broken event the page states 73 frames but on the filesystem I count 80 jpg captures. For events that are working correctly the frames and file count are the same. For all instances I checked there are always a few less frames in the page then the actual jpg count.
I also checked all the jpg's for a broken event; none of them seem corrupt. I can view all all of them in a image viewer.
Oh wow, good point! I did the same check and noticed the same problem! For example, I have a working event that says there is 149 frames, and when I go into the directory where the jpgs are stored and count the number of "capture" jpgs, it is also 149. However, for an event that is not working, Zoneminder says that there should be 128 frames but there is in fact 142 capture jpgs!
stevewrightnz1

Post by stevewrightnz1 »

Hi
Did you get to the bottom of this? I'm having the same issue
whoop

Post by whoop »

stevewrightnz1 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:07 am Hi
Did you get to the bottom of this? I'm having the same issue
Unfortunately: no. I am still getting around 1 in 15 events that get "corrupted".
stevewrightnz1

Post by stevewrightnz1 »

Yeah, it's a bit weird. The video seems to play alright on the console thumbnail screen but when clicked it fails.

If I had to guess maybe a different set of options is passed to the video player when the video is opened from the thumbnail? I don't know enough about the detail to dig into that.

Though not ideal at least I can drill down to the mpeg files if I find something I need to look at in detail.
whoop

Post by whoop »

stevewrightnz1 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:42 pm Yeah, it's a bit weird. The video seems to play alright on the console thumbnail screen but when clicked it fails.

If I had to guess maybe a different set of options is passed to the video player when the video is opened from the thumbnail? I don't know enough about the detail to dig into that.

Though not ideal at least I can drill down to the mpeg files if I find something I need to look at in detail.
What version are you running? I am having issues with 1.36.5.
stevewrightnz1

Post by stevewrightnz1 »

Its still doing it for me on 1.36.7
Steve
whoop

Post by whoop »

I may have discovered something interesting due to some preliminary testing:

Events sometimes fail for camera's with save jpegs set to: frames only
Events sometimes fail for camera's with save jpegs set to: frames + analysis
Events always fail for camera's with save jpegs set to: analysis only

I will continue testing some more; but it seems interesting to me that "analysis images only" always seem to fail.

Any input would be much appreciated...
whoop

Post by whoop »

stevewrightnz1 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:42 pm Yeah, it's a bit weird. The video seems to play alright on the console thumbnail screen but when clicked it fails.
What's really weird for me is that the thumbnails for broken events do not work for me in the console. Maybe our errors are not exactly the same.

With analysis turned of I get broken events about once every hundred events, that's allot better than having broken events about one in fifteen events with both frames and analysis enabled or all broken events with only analysis selected.

What makes it a bit cumbersome to use at the moment is that the prev and next buttons are broken for a busted event and clicking them takes me to a non existing event with eid of 0 which kinda gets you lost and unable to get back where you where...