Upgrade Issue 1.34 ->1.35

Previous development branch now released as 1.36
egglestn

Upgrade Issue 1.34 ->1.35

Post by egglestn »

Hi
I have run a 6 monitor set up on 1.34 quite happily for a while. Decided that I might like to help with testing, so added the master PPA and upgraded to 1.35.23 using the Ubuntu Software update. The upgrade apparently went smoothly, and I can see my UI as expected, but none of the cameras appear to be capturing, and when I attempt to change Modect to None (The idea to then reset them to modect ) it wont save the status & throws up a 500 error (internal server error?)
It also doesn't show any of the previous captured footage
I wonder if its a codex or decoder problem?

Im using Apache2, MariaDB and Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (Focal) and set it up according to the instructions in the wiki.
Previous to doing the update it was running perfectly
While its not the end of the world, is it something I have done, and how do I fix it or if not is there a simple way to downgrade back to the stable 1.34
If you need more info..chirp up and I will try to provide (I'm not a techie,)
egglestn

Re: Upgrade Issue 1.34 ->1.35

Post by egglestn »

Sorry
I also tried adding a new monitor to my set up, and it wouldn't allow me to do that.

Is this a permissions problem?
Magic919

Post by Magic919 »

You should stay away from 1.35 if you are not that technical.
-
egglestn

Post by egglestn »

:D A bit late for that advice!

Is it simply a case of wait till it gets updated or is there a simple way of rolling back to 1.34
Magic919

Post by Magic919 »

Undo whatever you did to add the master PPA and then do the downgrade to 1.34.
-
egglestn

Post by egglestn »

Thanks.I have undone adding the master-ppa but was looking for a walk through or tutorial to do the downgrade, do you have any idea where one is? Google throws up a number of hints, but nothing definitive.

As a side thought, if I just wait will things simply catch up?
Thanks
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

The only 100% sure way to downgrade is to restore from an old dB backup, after you have downgraded the software.

If you don't have a dB backup, in many cases, simply running sudo zmupdate.pl, after downgrading the software, will get things working for you.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

Your update probably failed in the middle. There are db changes that require bin logging be turned off. Put this in /etc/mysql/mysql.conf.d/binlog.cnf
and restart mysql

[mysqld]
skip-log-bin

Then do sudo zmupdate.pl

Once update is done you can either leave bin logging off, or delete that file and restart mysql

I believe 1.35 is starting to approach some semblance of stability.
egglestn

Post by egglestn »

Thank you Isaac,
That appears to have solved the problem. I followed your instructions, (Add to /etc/mysql/mysql.conf.d/binlog.conf) .. I had to create that file and (not surprisingly) it didn't work first time, but when I added the line to the file
/etc/mysql/mysql.conf.d/mysqld.cnf it seems to work...

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it

I hope to contribute a bit back...even if its just being the noob who breaks things

have a great day