Features in 1.35.*

Previous development branch now released as 1.36
iconnor

Features in 1.35.*

Post by iconnor »

Thought I'd make a sticky about what is actually going on in 1.35 development. This list may or may not be complete. We will update it as we go.

Filters
- Moved event email options from global config to per Filter
- Added user to run filter as, so that users without access to certain monitors can't just use a filter to access them.
- Filters now have PreSQL and PostSQL conditions. The first Post SQL condition is ExistsInFileSystem. This can be used to cleanup after a crash instead of using zmaudit.
- warnings on Filter edit page when you create a filter than can delete archived events.
- Added Auto Unarchive function

UI Updates
- bootstrap updated to version 3
- removed mootools
- events list now uses bootstrap-table to enable a more modern powerful ui
- scaled thumbnail on mouseover on events list
- thumbnails with scaling on console
- frames view updates to include stats information
- many popups turned into modals
- monitor edit is now a full view instead of popup
- Zone edit is now scaled so high res cameras don't take the entire screen or more.
-Added Estimated RAM use to Buffers tab in Monitors.
-Monitor edit no longer form submits/reloads between tabs it just hides/unhides tabs using bootstrap nav.

General
- New Monitor type VNC for recording desktops
- better use of scaling when streaming to reduce bandwidth/cpu use
- dynamic loading of vlc, curl and other libraries that might not be used. Saves ram
- ONVIF probe can now select a network to scan
- Sessions now stored in database
- Clicking on username in header will now list other logged in users if you have SystemView ppermission.
- ZoneMinder will now try other Storage Areas if it can't create the event in the assigned area.
- New Monitor Setting: Decoding Enabled/Disabled
- /dev/shm mmap use decoupled from image buffering. You should set ImageBufferCount to 3 or larger.
- mp4v2 deprecated and removed.
- You may now select mkv instead of mp4 for the video file container
- zma process has been turned into a thread of zmc.
- Added second ffmpeg input stream for when audio is coming from another source.
- added RTSP re-streaming
- hwaccel encoding support for intel vaapi and nvenc
burger

Re: Features in 1.35.*

Post by burger »

iconnor wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:26 pm - New Monitor type VNC for recording desktops
Judging by the viewcount of this forum thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=29033
which was a rough attempt at using ZM for win screen capture (works, but not 100% recommended): This is bound to be a desirable feature.
fastest way to test streams:
ffmpeg -i rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path ./output.mp4 (if terminal only)
ffplay rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path (gui)
find paths on ispydb or in zm hcl

If you are new to security software, read:
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Dummies_Guide
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

- Zone edit is now scaled so high res cameras don't take the entire screen or more.
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

Speaking of filters...
Are the new dropdowns in the system log broken, or is there a trick to them?
I can't get a match for anything.
Also, the log color on the console and montage often disagree.
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

Added Estimated RAM use to Buffers tab in Monitors.
Monitor edit no longer form submits/reloads between tabs it just hides/unhides tabs using bootstrap nav.
Egon

Post by Egon »

scaled thumbnail on mouseover on events list

Have we control over it? Can I disable scaled thumbnails on mouseover?
It is very difficult to move mouse from right to left and not to touch 480 width thumbnail. As result image resized almost to fullscreen (cam is 1080p)

Thank you!
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

- Sessions now stored in database
- Clicking on username in header will now list other logged in users if you have SystemView ppermission.
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

ZoneMinder will now try other Storage Areas if it can't create the event in the assigned area.
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

Big news. In 1.35.16 I have added a "Decoding Enabled" flag to each monitor. It will only appear when in Record or NoDect mode. When doing passthrough and NOT saving jpegs it will allow the stream to not be decoded, saving a ton of CPU.

This is useful in recording only no live view setups as well as linked camera setups where you do the modect on the low res stream and record on the high res. The high res no longer has to take any CPU.

Have at it.
Styx

Post by Styx »

iconnor wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:41 pm Big news. In 1.35.16 I have added a "Decoding Enabled" flag to each monitor. It will only appear when in Record or NoDect mode. When doing passthrough and NOT saving jpegs it will allow the stream to not be decoded, saving a ton of CPU.
Thank you very much for this !

I am new to zoneminder, but I discovered a lot in the last few days and tried to reduce the CPU utilization related to a 4K stream @ 15fps.

This was the last piece I needed. In deed I did not understand why zmc was still using close to 50% cpu when I had H264 pass-through enabled, and that's was the reason: it was still decoding the stream.

This makes a huge difference, zmc is now down to 5%.

One question/suggestion for the live view: would it not be possible to directly "forward" the original H264/H265 stream of the camera in the web interface ? directly to the user without decoding it ? After all it's already in a format that most browser can decode, so if somehow zmc could, in addition to storing the stream, also send the stream to the web server so it can directly serve it to the user and thus enable live view ?
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

I have just merged my zma_to_thread branch to master and bumped the version to 1.35.17.

This is a massive refactor of many parts of ZoneMinder.
To start with I have removed zma and made it a thread of zmc.
I have decoupled the raw image buffers in /dev/shm from the actual packetqueue which needed to be 2*keyframe interval. The packetqueue will grow as necessary to keep track of key frames and pre-event counts. This means that you need to change your ImageBufferCount to a much lower value or ZM will use double the amount of ram than before. At the moment the lowest the UI will let you got is 10, but I'll fix that soon. I think a value of 2 might be ok.

There are likely to be problems. Stay at 1.35.16 if you aren't adventurous!
pdt5774

Post by pdt5774 »

I believe Zoneminder has finally outgrown my abiltity to keep up and recommend. v1.35.18 not only broke my system, but a new user's system. New user bailed, I will find a way to recover. ( sigh )
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

pdt5774 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:22 am I believe Zoneminder has finally outgrown my abiltity to keep up and recommend. v1.35.18 not only broke my system, but a new user's system. New user bailed, I will find a way to recover. ( sigh )
You do know that 1.35.x is the development branch, which comes with guaranteed breakage, right?
Why did you introduce a new user to our development branch, rather than the stable release?!?!?
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
pdt5774

Post by pdt5774 »

It was a branch that came with "Ubuntu update". Education has it's rewards.
Magic919

Post by Magic919 »

What about apostrophe education?

FWIW, I run Ubuntu and I'd suggest putting a hold on Zoneminder to separate it from general updates. Just upgrade ZM knowingly when the time is right.
-