1.35 without mySQL?

Previous development branch now released as 1.36
linux4michelleWeb

1.35 without mySQL?

Post by linux4michelleWeb »

Good day,

before I start installing 1.35 on my freshly dist-upgraded buster I like to know,
if it is possibel, to avoid mySQL, because it conflict with other software and I can run only PostgreSQL here.

If not, are the functions for mySQL are in a seperated source file, so I can change it to support PostgreSQL?

In general, I need only a software which capture videos from 16 survaillance cameras and store them on my Intranet Server.
iconnor

Re: 1.35 without mySQL?

Post by iconnor »

No. we only support mysql here and no one is funding us to alter the code to support postgres as well.

It would be really nice to support postgres (I prefer it, and it would so outperform mysql).
linux4michelleWeb

Good evening (at least here in Estonia),

I am co-owner of Miila Mahe Aed OÜ, an organic apple farm and have a hell of work here,
but I am also Open Source Developer with long-term (19 years) PostgreSQL experiance.

So my very specific question is:

Is it possibel to remove the mySQL calls from all over the source code and put it together into one source file
which then can be much better adapted?

This would be more or less a One-Time-Stress but once and forever!

Thanks
Michelle
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

Th right thing to do is to use an abstraction library which would allow various db options.

In any event, it is possible to do what you said, not sure it's the right thing to do, but in any event, someone has to do it.
When you work on a project that runs on various platforms, supporting 5 years of distro releases... anything is not as easy as making it work for one platform.

Even just making it work with mysql is a pain the bottom.

Isaac
linux4michelleWeb

I know from myself, that is ver hard, to make something compatible, if you have started with your prefered database.

I work with PostgreSQL since 2001 and around 2007 I started switching slowly to seperated database files, mean one for PostgreSQL, one for MySQL, one for plain file...

Since 2011 I started switching to PDO (I am not perfect with it, but it works for me, -- at least for now).

Do you think, we schould make a start with PDO?

I do not know, how long it will take, because I have in Estonia a 3ha apple farm and 100 animals to care about and also building currently a Loghouse, 12m long carport and will start with a 12x8m big greenhouse, but I am definitively interested in helping you with it.

Greetings
Michelle
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

We already use PDO, there will be small SQL changes to make. For example nowadays MySQL requires us to put ` around column and table names. No other SQL engine requires that.

The other problem is the c++ side of things. We need to pick a library to use to talk to the db. distro support for various libraries is hit or miss.

We can start if you want to help. I'm in quarantine so have time to work on things. Lots of things to work on though.