Motion Detection of People Walking in the distance not working

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
kyferez

Motion Detection of People Walking in the distance not working

Post by kyferez »

I have 1080p cameras and want to ensure I capture anytime someone walks next to my vehicle parked on the street, about 30 feet away.

However I have been unable to accomplish this. I have configured 2 zones, one for closer and 1 for further away, however no matter what I do I hit one of 2 issues on the further away zone:
1. It doesn't detect the person at all.
2. If I decrease the settings much lower than they are, It alerts constantly even when there is no visible movement.

Attached is an image of my settings for the farther out zone and a sample video is here; the lady walking wasn't detected at all: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PqZK_V ... sp=sharing

Thanks!
Attachments
ZM_Zone.png
ZM_Zone.png (41.89 KiB) Viewed 5985 times
Magic919

Re: Motion Detection of People Walking in the distance not working

Post by Magic919 »

Have a read of this - https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Understandi ... or_Dummies

It suggests using blobs to detect people.
-
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

Also switch to pixels and use lower min values, like 1000 or less. Make it super sensitive.
kyferez

Post by kyferez »

Magic919 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:31 am Have a read of this - https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Understandi ... or_Dummies

It suggests using blobs to detect people.
Thanks but I've had far less success with blobs and I've reviewed that link extensively. If you have specific ideas or options that have worked for you in similar scenario I'd love to hear them.
kyferez

Post by kyferez »

iconnor wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:16 pm Also switch to pixels and use lower min values, like 1000 or less. Make it super sensitive.
I'll give this a try, but I think that also created constant recordings with no visible movement as well. I'll post back an update in a bit.
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

Then increase values until you get what you want
Andyrh

Post by Andyrh »

For reference this detects most people at 40 feet with a 15 foot elevation. It is an 8MP camera and this is for 1 zone that covers the road. Notice the min/max alarmed area. The number of pixels to look for will vary with distance and resolution.
Road2.JPG
Road2.JPG (74.89 KiB) Viewed 5918 times
Andy
o||||o

Ubuntu 22.04
ZM 1.36.33
E5-1650-v4 Xeon
16 GB RAM
6 cameras -> 54 FPS modect
kyferez

Post by kyferez »

So still not having much success at all. Reviewing other responses from past forum posts, there was recommendations to "track the stats of various events to change the motion detection settings in the zone setup for the given monitor (camera)" and also to "tweak and test".

But how and where does one Track the stats of various events and what stats are being referred to here??? Is there some way to get detailed stats about each alarm event in the capture? That would be very helpful!

And how can one feed a video back into ZM to repeatedly test it on a loop so the tweak and test is easier and faster than manually waking around all day long after every tweak? I've seen something about using ffmpeg to stream and setting it as a camera, but haven't found any decent writeups on how to do that.
kyferez

Post by kyferez »

Ok so I know what stats they were referring to now, but what do the stats mean, how do I interpret them, and how do I see which pixels or blobs were the ones that triggered? Here's the data from one:
Zone Pixel Diff Alarm Px Filter Px Blob Px Blobs Blob Sizes Alarm Limits Score
Street 32 183277 (36%) 0 (0%) 0 (0%) 0 0 (0%) 0,0-0,0 36
Driveway 31 8105 (1%) 1494 (0%) 1494 (0%) 50 9-333 (0%-0%) 1361,541-1912,724 1

I want to do like the image in bottom at link here: https://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/la ... gging.html, but it's not working even with both RECORD_DIAG_IMAGES_FIFO and RECORD_DIAG_IMAGES enabled. I only get blank pages at all 3 links when I set the proper "portal" and "monitor" settings.