Proxmox setup - External storage, write to root

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
linezer0

Proxmox setup - External storage, write to root

Post by linezer0 »

Hello, i have mangaged to get Zoneminder running fine on a Proxmox container. Now i would like to use my external storage (connected to Proxmox host) to my Zoneminder container in order to save events / images there. I managed to bind this and am also able to view the capacity in Zoneminder correctly. However, it begins already with 75/1500GB taken, although i have nothing else on my harddrive. I could perhaps live with that, but the problem is, when i leave it running for a while, i see that my zoneminder container crashes, as it apparently is writing to my root disk (lvm-thin). I have tried to follow the instructions in the wiki, but something seems to be messed up. Do you have any idea what i am doing wrong?
Attachments
pic3.PNG
pic3.PNG (20.65 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
pic4.PNG
pic4.PNG (14.86 KiB) Viewed 3537 times
pic5.PNG
pic5.PNG (18.77 KiB) Viewed 3537 times
Andyrh

Re: Proxmox setup - External storage, write to root

Post by Andyrh »

Did you set the camera storage area to the correct location?
Andy
o||||o

Ubuntu 22.04
ZM 1.36.33
E5-1650-v4 Xeon
16 GB RAM
6 cameras -> 54 FPS modect
linezer0

Post by linezer0 »

Yes, that was not the problem. I gave it up and am now working on another solution:

Setup a network share on a synology drive via smb, i have successfully managed to mount it on my zoneminder container. it is also showing up correctly (1,5 TB) if i use -df in the CLI. However, as soon as i add it in zoneminder via "add storage" it only shows a capacity of 32 GB (container disk size). I have no idea what the reason is and if i should worry that ZM will write again to my container harddrive. I will test it out, but it is kinda irritating. Perhaps somebody has an idea here :)
Attachments
tes2.PNG
tes2.PNG (7.74 KiB) Viewed 3501 times
tes.PNG
tes.PNG (18.74 KiB) Viewed 3501 times
Bluemax

Post by Bluemax »

What version of ZM is this?
Edit: Nvm.. its on the screenshots.

The "32GB" are very likely taken from the rootfs. I'm running on LXC and havn't seen such behavior so far. If files are landing properly on the drive its probably a virtualization issue or the way ZM picks up the data.

I guess 'php/disk_total_space()' picks up the data here. Maybe php doesn't like Samba.
linezer0

Post by linezer0 »

Ok, i left it running for 5 minutes, and it seems to write to root disk. I have no idea what is going on here, as it does not seem to make any sense. Any idea what i could change in my setup to get it working properly?
Bluemax

Post by Bluemax »

Maybe Sambas overmount shows up too late (boot order) so Zoneminder picks up the previous path. Try to restart the Zoneminder/PHP/Webserver/CGI services manually. If that helps, change the ZM service to start after Samba.
Last edited by Bluemax on Mon May 17, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
linezer0

Post by linezer0 »

Hello, thank you for the reply. Now here come the stupid question, how do i do that? Sorry, but i am a pretty big newbie :)
Bluemax

Post by Bluemax »

I don't know Proxmox. If its debian (or systemd based) try something like 'systemctl restart zoneminder'. Not sure how the php service is named. Try 'systemctl list-unit-files |grep php' to get the service name and do the same (systemctl restart php).

Once the services got restarted they should re-pickup the paths (/mnt/sdc1) that are properly "filled" with the Samba share now. At least that's the theory...
linezer0

Post by linezer0 »

Ok..got it working. It seems the problem was mounting to sdb1...changed name to sdd1 and is now working fine. Had the same problem on another lxc container running ubuntu..