PTZ joystick for pan, tilt, zoom

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
pennyzm

PTZ joystick for pan, tilt, zoom

Post by pennyzm »

Hello,

I am looking to find out if Zoneminder supports using a joystick for PTZ cameras?
I have not found any recent information as of yet, but will keep looking.

We are currently running 1.34.2 on ubuntu 18.04.4 with a planned update this summer to the latest Zoneminder and ubuntu 20.04.
We have a mix of Axis and Hikvision PTZ cameras. The models are:
DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3, DS-2DE4225W-DE, and Axis P5654-E

Thank you,
pennyzm
iconnor

Re: PTZ joystick for pan, tilt, zoom

Post by iconnor »

I havn't heard of anyone implementing that. We'd be happy to try and implement (for a fee). I'm not exactly sure to actually interface with a joystick in terms of a web browser. Would be interesting.
Magic919

Post by Magic919 »

PTZ camera and ZM is not really a match in my experience. Start moving the camera and create alerts. Also no means of having different zones to match locations. I'd just buy the Hik PTZ and have the camera on record.
-
alabamatoy

Post by alabamatoy »

Magic919 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:05 am PTZ camera and ZM is not really a match in my experience. Start moving the camera and create alerts.
I believe that has been resolved, pending an update to be pushed out at some point, but I may be speaking outa turn here. There was an offline discussion about PTZ and suspension of motion detection, and I think that the decision was to add code to suspend motion detection while PTZ commands were being sent, but I do not know when this is planned for implementation. It just makes sense to do so. 1.34.24 has "disable alarms" functionality which can be applied in the interim.

The problem of different zones to match preset locations is a totally different issue. As I have said before, I think motion detection in ZM is not readily useable for outside cameras, just too many false positives in my experience from birds, clouds drifting over, wind moving trees, and rain/snow or in my area, fog. The IR really sees the fog well. I gave up and transitioned to passive IR sensors which force alarms on the cameras, and that works very well, but the damned birds and squirrels still set those off now and then. Object detection is the solution! Dont bother me unless its a human, or a car etc
pennyzm wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:05 am I am looking to find out if Zoneminder supports using a joystick for PTZ cameras?
As I understand it, the PTZ scripts use a javascript onmousedown/onmouseup and ontouchstart/ontouchstop (for mobile devices) or the older onclick. It would seem logical that a change to a different javascript would be required to implement PTZ with a joystick. A DDG search for "javascript joystick" brought up several different possible implementations which might lend themselves to reuse. I dont know if these are hardware specific or not.