Another easy way to Install for Newbies

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
Trevor-WA

Another easy way to Install for Newbies

Post by Trevor-WA »

An Easy way to instal Zoneminder- ************The cmds -----------------basics are at end of post****************
I have been looking for that for ages- and it does exist (worked for me)
I wont bore you with my trials and tribulations, I will tell you what I did.
went to B.K.Jayasundera site https://bkjaya.wordpress.com/ need to search a bit.
and used what he said--------- YOU NEED TO VISIT SITE??

In this tutorial we are going to use “Docker: Enterprise Container Platform” (docker.io) to install “quantumobject/docker-zoneminder” on Ubuntu 18.10 operating system.
The “quantumobject/docker-zoneminder which is based on zoneminder master packages has been maintained and uploaded to the Docker Hub by Angel Rodriguez-Rodiguez-Riccrdo.
Installation procedure is given below.
Installation of Docker on Ubuntu 18.10
Open the Ubuntu terminal and run
sudo apt install docker.io
We are going to run Zoneminder with MySQL in a separate container
On the Ubuntu terminal
sudo docker network create net
( I have used my timezone as Asia/Colombo . Your time zone can be get from here )The above commands will pull mysql/mysql-server:5.7 and create a container named “db” on the Docker Platform
Then on the Ubuntu terminal
sudo docker run -d -e TZ=Asia/Colombo -e MYSQL_USER=zmuser -e MYSQL_PASSWORD=zmpass -e MYSQL_DATABASE=zm -e sudo docker run -d --shm-size=4096m -e TZ=Asia/Colombo -e ZM_DB_HOST=db --net net --name zm -p 8080:80 --privileged=true quantumobject/docker-zoneminder
MYSQL_ROOT_PASSWORD=mysqlpsswd -e MYSQL_ROOT_HOST=% --net net --name db mysql/mysql-server:5.7
The above commands will pull quantumobject/docker-zoneminder from the Docker Hub and create a container named “zm”
(Here ,I have used port 8080 for the ZM panal )
( You can notice “- -device=/dev/video0:/dev/video0” in above command which facilitate adding USB cameras on Zoneminder/Docker . You can use “- -privileged=true” also instead of “- -device=/dev/video0:/dev/video0”)
In order to appear ZM panel , you will have to start above two containers “db” and “zm” using the terminal as follows
sudo docker start db
sudo docker start zm
Then open the web browser http://localhost:8080/zm/

*************************************Basics******************
All you need to do is copy and paste into your terminal is the following-

And Change if you want ----SEE BELOW---
***change TZ= to your time zone
***change MYSQL_ROOT_PASSWORD=mysqlpsswd to what you want
get docker hello world first--just install basic docker
Start here-----

sudo apt install docker.io
sudo docker network create net

sudo docker run -d -e TZ=Asia/Colombo -e MYSQL_USER=zmuser -e MYSQL_PASSWORD=zmpass -e MYSQL_DATABASE=zm -e sudo docker run -d --shm-size=4096m -e TZ=Asia/Colombo -e ZM_DB_HOST=db --net net --name zm -p 8080:80 --privileged=true quantumobject/docker-zoneminder

MYSQL_ROOT_PASSWORD=mysqlpsswd -e MYSQL_ROOT_HOST=% --net net --name db mysql/mysql-server:5.7

sudo docker start db
sudo docker start zm
Then open the web browser http://localhost:8080/zm/
***********AND THATS IT*********
If you are trying to install zm you will be on Linux/ probably Ubuntu or Windows with WSL2.
Install Docker!!!

If it works for you great. It did for me about- 2 in the morning and I just wanted to thank
B.K.Jayasundera. You have to see/read his info.
He is the Man :D :D :D