How to Install Zoneminder on TrueNAS Core 12.0-U2

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
smokinjoe

How to Install Zoneminder on TrueNAS Core 12.0-U2

Post by smokinjoe »

Hi All,

I am just wondering if there are very many TrueNAS/FreeNAS users here.

Anyway...

How to Install Zoneminder 1.34 on TrueNAS Core 12.0-U2

1) Pick the Zoneminder plugin and pick the "Install" button.

Yep, in 2 miniutes it is working, as long as you have a DHCP server on your network.

Thanks,
Joe
Last edited by smokinjoe on Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Acewiza

Re: How to Install Zoneminder on TrueNAS Core 12.0-U2

Post by Acewiza »

So how's it going :?:
smokinjoe

Post by smokinjoe »

Very good so far(1 minute install is hard to complain about) the there are a few of my gripes(some issue with FreeNAS, the plugin or FreebSD):

*1) purge disk when full appears only to work on the default location - fixed, must specify store location
2) I can't load an nvidia video driver into FreeNAS or the jail since the device is not showing up for the FreeNAS OS
3) there is some bug with devfs rules where I cannot even pass a Intel GMA card to a jail
4) I have never done an upgrade to a newer version in a jail or a FreeNAS os upgrade...

other than those gripes it is working perfect for 3 of my cameras running 6 objects so that 3 of them are linked. I have tried to use older versions of FreeNAS to see if the 12.0-U2 broke something and it looks like 12.0-U2 makes it useable, the other relases I could not get to work with H264 passthru on my Amcrest 841b or 1051b camers.

I am running this on a junk Precision T1500 with 12gb of ram, i5 650 and mirrored 2tb drives, it is very responsive. I had to make sure for my iocage jails and store points to turn off compression and I also disable atime and sync(contraversial as ZFS guru's say never to do this but I have never had any issues).
Last edited by smokinjoe on Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acewiza

Post by Acewiza »

I like the TrueNAS on your hardware idea, and considered running it myself at one time a couple years ago after my 1st Synology NAS got zapped by a lightning strike. I just could not see much advantage to it over rolling your own servers.
smokinjoe

Post by smokinjoe »

Acewiza wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:00 pm I like the TrueNAS on your hardware idea, and considered running it myself at one time a couple years ago after my 1st Synology NAS got zapped by a lightning strike. I just could not see much advantage to it over rolling your own servers.
Rolling your own is a pain in the ass. Once we get TrueNAS Scale(based on debia) I think we will be able to get docker containers to work perfect. The issue I still have and hope gets resoved with TrueNAS Scale is to use a video card for the encoding/decoding. With three camers I really don't neeed it.

TrueNAS core 12.0-U2.1 works really well, I like the ability to punch in numbers for may storage and have them go up and down for the ZFS quota, so I don't need to use much or can keep making the sm storage area for HD recordings bigger if/when needed.

One of the free plugins in TrueNAS Core 12.0-U2.1 is speed test, so in a click of the mouse you can test the speed of your network from your desktop to your storage. I think the Phoronix plugin has a way to test and show results on your disks, this is on my to-do list.

I have made so many tests that I have a text file with notes so I can do a fresh install and re-make all my settings so that it works perfect. Next I want another store to be used for archives. This way I can put my iocage jails and main store on a NVME disk and when I archive a video it goes to the old mechanical drives. I would only archive the HD video so I am trying to make sure my linked cameras can make the video with all the motion that I want to keep.
Acewiza

Post by Acewiza »

smokinjoe wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:48 pm I have made so many tests that I have a text file with notes so I can do a fresh install and re-make all my settings so that it works perfect.
That's one reason why I started liking the Synology stuff. If you could at least remember your network details, any sort of re-do was just a matter of sitting there re-installing things. But even that can be a onerous task if you have more than a few things going on there. I've since gone to a strictly image backup scheme for the running portion of any systems I keep. Do the build once only, with each succeeding backup bringing it "back-up"-to-date. No more re-installing a bunch of stuff, until it's time for new hardware. Failure recoveries apart from hardware issues are never more than a Clonezilla session away.
smokinjoe

Post by smokinjoe »

with zoneminder the backup is a pain, command line dump of the database. With a TrueNAS jail it is easy :

iocage stop zm
iocage export zm
iocage start zm

That is why it is important to keep all the data on a ZFS dataset...
Andyrh

Post by Andyrh »

I have to disagree with ZM backup is a pain...
mysqldump -u root -pCoolPassword zm | gzip -9 -f > /zm/store1/dbbackup/zmdb.sql-"`date +"%d"`".gz

Restore is easy too.
mysql -u root -pCoolPassword zm < zmdb.sql

Both should work well, I just have an aversion to stopping things to make a backup.
Andy
o||||o

Ubuntu 22.04
ZM 1.36.33
E5-1650-v4 Xeon
16 GB RAM
6 cameras -> 54 FPS modect
smokinjoe

Post by smokinjoe »

I just did my backup and restore and have an error:

ERROR 1840 (HY000) at line 24: @@GLOBAL.GTID_PURGED can only be set when @@GLOBAL.GTID_EXECUTED is empty.
burger

Post by burger »

smokinjoe wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:50 am I just did my backup and restore and have an error:

ERROR 1840 (HY000) at line 24: @@GLOBAL.GTID_PURGED can only be set when @@GLOBAL.GTID_EXECUTED is empty.
Not a common ZM issue, but a quick web search online comes up with a few things you can try. I think most of them involve removing the GLOBAL_GTID_PURGED switch from the .sql file.
e.g.

Code: Select all

Remove this command from the mysql dump file. Simply delete it. All the inserts will appear on slave as it's local transactions

If you want to prevent this happening, you can also reset master on slave

mysql> RESET MASTER;

This command will clean up the 'Executed_Gtid_Set' variable on slave, so you can import the dumpfile directly, and the previously mentioned set_global_gtid_purged variable takes action

When you create the mysqldump, you can skip the GTID setup part as adding the --set-gtid-purged=OFF parameter for mysqldump.
https://superuser.com/questions/906843/ ... error-1839
fastest way to test streams:
ffmpeg -i rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path ./output.mp4 (if terminal only)
ffplay rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path (gui)
find paths on ispydb or in zm hcl

If you are new to security software, read:
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Dummies_Guide
smokinjoe

Post by smokinjoe »

Hi Andy,

I added the --set-gtid-purged=OFF and I was able to backup and restore!

Thank you!
csjjpm

Post by csjjpm »

Hi,
the Truenas plugin is 1.34.21. How can I manually update the zoneminder within the Jail?
thank you
Paul
Toskana

Post by Toskana »

All,
I am new to Zoneminder.
I want to install ZM on TrueNas and have the following question:

Is the installation of ZM on TrueNas a full installation? Means can I install ZM Plugins (e.g. recognition plugins)?

Many thanks,
& Cheers,
Toskana