Monitor Garage Door [Solved]

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
pankaj13

Re: Monitor Garage Door

Post by pankaj13 »

Sprinkler control is also on my wish list :D

thanks @Jayjay_seal @alabamatoy for all the pointers, I have lot to read and ingest in coming days!!
Jayjay_seal

Re: Monitor Garage Door [Solved]

Post by Jayjay_seal »

It's not really complex :-)

i agree you could ditch homeassistant but a MQTT server in your home come's in handy when you start to tinker around and want to do more :-). The HA server just makes it nice and automates a general interface to control switches and read out the status of it or other sensors :) my partner loves the camera dashboard that shows all camera's at once and is still able to control the other bits and bobs (lights, locks etc) but not losing the real buttons around the house (for example) :-)

No programming skills required to automate a lights on action when the sun goes down.....not even if you want to turn on your lights 45min before it goes down. want to have a push message on multiple phones when the garage door opens? Sure give me 2 minutes!.. want a snapshot of the camera in it? Want a link to the live stream when you click the push message? and so on :-)

You can probably do this with a batch script but about 6 dollar for a relay and an ESP that comes in a box and is automatically discovered in your web interface... this beats writing code over and over again :P We don't have to reinvent the wheel every time we have a new project.

A sonoff is basically the same as what you suggested but then without the need to program or solder and smaller... possibly safer too :) you have alot of models of it even ones that replace your light switches.... but they also make them "smart".

BTW: Zoneminder is also a integration that can be enabled in HA so you can view your garage camera and make buttons to control the garage door for example. the Sonoff also integrates.... i guess you can say, seamlessly.

But when it comes to the question... Checking a garage door with a camera might not be the way to go.
I think you would be better off with either of our solutions, so you either buy all hardware separate, solder your way through and are not afraid to program a bit (and possibly learn to program) or you buy ready made boxes at 6 dollar a piece and invest some time into learning to setup Homeassistant (takes about an hour maybe two if it's your first time) and let devices be detected themselves when you connect them. (flashing the sonoffs with custom free software is easy too) I know what i would choose :-)

I'm just glad that i could help you pankaj13

No, i'm not sponsored by either. i'm just a fan of the products as i do with Zoneminder. i would also defend it above blue iris etc... :-)
pankaj13

Post by pankaj13 »

@alabamatoy & @ayjay_seal

Thought I will post some closure here if any other newbie comes looking for similar stuff! I did manage to get the garage door opener work, here is an updated video that worked like a charm!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZbTnpyZZeo

Also the ZM is working like a charm on Home Assistant, ZM is doing the motion detection and all HA needs to do is monitor ZM camera event count...in comes MQTT to turn lights on if motion is detected :D

So life is becoming fun again!!
Mpagvaok

Post by Mpagvaok »

It's been a long time, but if someone faces the same problem, you can set up ZM with a camera to check if your garage door's open or closed, even without staring at the live feed.
burger

Post by burger »

RagenVox wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:35 am Hey there! From what I've tinkered with, it's actually doable. You can set up motion detection in ZM to trigger based on changes in the camera feed. So, if you point the camera towards your garage door, you might be able to create rules that detect whether it's open or closed based on the visual changes. It's a bit of a DIY adventure, and you might need to fine-tune the settings, but it's worth a shot.
That might be possible, but I'd try just using python and opencv, which should be quicker. Grab a snapshot image from zm (https://wiki.zoneminder.com/External_Li ... apshot_URL), and then compare it to an existing photo.
fastest way to test streams:
ffmpeg -i rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path ./output.mp4 (if terminal only)
ffplay rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path (gui)
find paths on ispydb or in zm hcl

If you are new to security software, read:
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Dummies_Guide