upgrade instructions

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
alabamatoy

upgrade instructions

Post by alabamatoy »

Currently running 1.30.0 on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Finally, have some time when ZM is not critical, so its time to upgrade. 1.30.0 has been, for me, extremely reliable, but all things must pass.

Where are the upgrade instructions for 1.30-1.34 ? Any risks or things I should be aware of?

(BTW, searching for "upgrade" on readthedocs returns nothing at all. Perhaps this is a worthy addition? Searching for upgrade in these forums brings up mountains of hits.)
alabamatoy

Re: upgrade instructions

Post by alabamatoy »

Seem unable to delete post, please ignore it. I figured out the upgrade....
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

Would you mind sharing how you did it? Also trying to upgrade from 1.30.4 on Ubuntu 16.04
alabamatoy

Post by alabamatoy »

Apologies, attention has been elsewhere of late.

I believe that you have to ensure that the correct repo is linked and then run the upgrade. The instructions are in the documentation, here. Essentially, its a simple process to add the latest repository with a sudo add-apt-repository ppa:iconnor/zoneminder-1.34 command (or similar) and then sudo apt-get update and then upgrade.

I was *very* concerned about the upgrade process, but it worked fine for me. The only problems have been a) I was using some camera control scripts which will no longer work with the new version design, so I have lost some PTZ control in my older cameras and b) some of my non-ZM shell scripts which depended on the API had to be updated due to changes in the API.

But all of this has been relatively painless, some bash and CURL and PHP tinkering and everything is working again, except the old camera scripts which I am going to solve by upgrading to newer cameras.

HTH....