Cambozola seems to be obsolete

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
bkjaya1952

Cambozola seems to be obsolete

Post by bkjaya1952 »

The Cambozola.jar seems to be obsolete.Therefor , can we propose to remove input boxes under Options>Images for the details of cambozola , as the Zoneminder can be run successfully without the same ?
SteveGilvarry

Re: Cambozola seems to be obsolete

Post by SteveGilvarry »

BK,
I think it was an IE thing, I don't think I ever used it. Probably still some corporates with it still installed, but I think MS is force pushing Edge out. Did you want to hunt it down and Pull Request a change to remove it from options and also php pages. And don't worry if you don't know how, I didn't either when I first started. :?
Production Zoneminder 1.37.x (Living dangerously)
Random Selection of Cameras (Dahua and Hikvision)
bkjaya1952

Post by bkjaya1952 »

SteveGilvarry wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:09 am BK,
I think it was an IE thing, I don't think I ever used it. Probably still some corporates with it still installed, but I think MS is force pushing Edge out. Did you want to hunt it down and Pull Request a change to remove it from options and also php pages. And don't worry if you don't know how, I didn't either when I first started. :?
Steve,
I had been using Cambozola in the past . Now it is not available for download. :D
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

I have it around here somewhere. I don't think we should continue to support it though.

Might be nice to identify exactly which platform needs it, but I suspect that is IE 6 or something and we are NOT going to support that.
SteveGilvarry

Post by SteveGilvarry »

Required for M-JPEG playback for all versions of Internet Explorer, including 11. Still 3% of internet traffic, most likely seen in Corporate environment where they have not rolled out an alternative.
I would say we remove it in current dev branch so 1.36 release would not support.

BK are you interested in editing the code to remove it? Or just want someone else to do?
Production Zoneminder 1.37.x (Living dangerously)
Random Selection of Cameras (Dahua and Hikvision)
bkjaya1952

Post by bkjaya1952 »

SteveGilvarry wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:09 pm Required for M-JPEG playback for all versions of Internet Explorer, including 11. Still 3% of internet traffic, most likely seen in Corporate environment where they have not rolled out an alternative.
I would say we remove it in current dev branch so 1.36 release would not support.

BK are you interested in editing the code to remove it? Or just want someone else to do?
No Sir. I am not an expert no this subject . But I have been a fan of Zoneminder since 2005. Although I am an old man of 68 yrs , still like to learn. Anyway , I will give a try and send you the results for your observations .
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

Cambozola is still needed for Internet Explorer, which despite its infamy, is almost certainly being used by someone.
I see no good reason to remove support for it just yet.

Maybe in 5 years, if/when IE won't even run on the latest MS operating system. Then we could make a case to drop it.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

We are going to have to start providing a download for it then. The original source seems to be offline.

Given that IE is not supported and there is really no justifiable reason to use it, I see no reason why we should have to support it in future versions of ZM. If you want to run antiquated software then you can continue running ZM 1.34.

I vote we remove it in 1.36. I also vote we remove all the other old methods of viewing video like flash etc. But first we need something better, which is my intention but havn't gotten around to it yet.

I'm also ok with leaving it for 1.38... which might actually be 5 years from now :)
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

I am the combozola package manager for fedora/redhat repos.

Yeah, it looks like the author's website is no longer up.

Not sure we need to bundle it with zoneminder, but I can provide the source tarball if anyone wants it.
I patched the cambozola source to build against newer jdk's. I'll have to dig up the patch, but it was fairly trivial.

Oh, it looks like it is mirrored on github:
https://github.com/kscape/cambozola
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

I wonder if we could take over maintainership and add h264/h265 decoding...

Probably not worth it. Everyone wants to only work with js these days.