Presets and Detection Sensitivity

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
neepninja

Presets and Detection Sensitivity

Post by neepninja »

Hello. Im trying to get the detection sensitivity just right but at the moment using the standard presets I'm either getting too much motion detection or non at all. I've tried high, medium and low but all produce undesired results. If I start on the low preset and alter a setting upwards (fine tune) hope this would work. But I'm not quite sure which value to alter..

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200629-121048_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200629-121048_Chrome.jpg (453.24 KiB) Viewed 2884 times
neepninja

Re: Presets and Detection Sensitivity

Post by neepninja »

Does anyone know?
burger

Post by burger »

https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Understandi ... or_Dummies

Motion detecting can be a bit of a rabbit hole.

I typically set to best,highest sensitivity, change to percentage, then lower number to about 3 (percent).

You can tune it by enabling zm_analysis images in options (if you want). You can also just watch events live, and see if they are flagged as alarms or not, then adjust numbers as needed.

I also use hardware motion detectors. Those can be quite reliable, at the added cost of initial setup.

Here's one tip: Set a min, then set a max. The max limit (i.e. screen flashes due to IR turn on) may help keep some alerts down.
fastest way to test streams:
ffmpeg -i rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path ./output.mp4 (if terminal only)
ffplay rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path (gui)
find paths on ispydb or in zm hcl

If you are new to security software, read:
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Dummies_Guide
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

Most of the zone presets were designed for analog capture cams around 320x200. They don't work well for 1080p cams etc.

I typically start by setting the units to pixels and the minimums to 1000 pixels or less.

Expect improvements here in 1.36
gruiarew

Post by gruiarew »

Start with Best, High sensitivity and tune it down. For me better works with smaller zones. Define zones only where the area of interest is.