New install of 1.34.16 and seeing seeing "NaN:NaN:NaNs" when displaying events

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
jr3us

New install of 1.34.16 and seeing seeing "NaN:NaN:NaNs" when displaying events

Post by jr3us »

As indicated by the subject, I have done a new install using the instructions on raspberry pi os (debian buster for the raspberry pi ) on a raspberry pi 4 with 2 gb

The article below from the zoneminder forum perfectly describes the problem I am having:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=27729

A comment in the thread from Sabby refers to replacing all the contents from /usr/share/zoneminder from a 1.32.2 archive, but I don't want to go that far.

What version of zoneminder should I go back to IF this is the solution?

Additional information... This happens in firefox, safari, as well as chromium browser.

Regards!
burger

Re: New install of 1.34.16 and seeing seeing "NaN:NaN:NaNs" when displaying events

Post by burger »

Are you sure you installed correctly? Exactly what install guide did you use? Are there any errors in the logs?
fastest way to test streams:
ffmpeg -i rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path ./output.mp4 (if terminal only)
ffplay rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path (gui)
find paths on ispydb or in zm hcl

If you are new to security software, read:
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Dummies_Guide
jr3us

Re: New install of 1.34.16 and seeing seeing "NaN:NaN:NaNs" when displaying events

Post by jr3us »

I used the following page as a guide to install it:

https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Raspberry_Pi_4_-_Raspbian

When i was configuring the Reolink camera, I initially used the ONVIF method for connecting to the camera. However using onvif was not working well at all with it... corrupting the video as it came into zoneminder. I changed it to use an RTSP connection to the camera and the video corruption went away
note that I do believe the install went sideways for some reason... I did an install on an ECS Liva, and it works fine, so I am going to use the ECS LIVA as the zoneminder server.

Thanks for the assistance!
dhmsjs

Post by dhmsjs »

I am also seeing this NaN issue when displaying events on RPi4 with ZM v1.34.22 and also 1.36.0. Here is some additional information which may be helpful to the smart folks.

1) I also have an RPi3 2G running 1.34.22. It does not have the NaN issue. I upgraded from the version available in the standard RPi repository (it was v1.32?? I think) using iconnor's v1.34 repository.

2) To explore performance improvements I've recently set up an RPi4 8G (buster) similarly. The first ZM install of 1.32?? went smoothly. After upgrading to 1.34.22 using iconnor's repository, the NaN issue appeared. As noted in other posts, events play (sort of) but many features are wonky or broken.

3) I recently upgraded the RPi4 to iconnor's 1.36.0 release to see if that would fix the problem. It does not. But otherwise the upgrade itself seems to work well.

4) As with other posts, nothing obvious seems to be showing up in the logs or in the browser's console. I've explored the code enough to see that the event's "Progress" field on the event display webpage is updated by getCmdResponse(respObj, respText) in event.js (line 246). The reason for the NaNs appears to be that respObj "Status" has only "zoom" and "rate" members, but no "progress" member. Thus a read of progress returns NaN.

I've tried comparing the RP3's behavior to the RPi4, but unfortunately that comparison is clouded by the fact that the RPi4 is now running 1.36.0 while the RPi3 is still on 1.34.22 -- and the code differences in the two versions appear to be significant with respect to this issue.

The evidence above suggests to me that the cause is due to a subtle difference in the OS, not ZM per se. But I don't have a clue as to what that difference might be.

My RPi4 is entirely experimental at this point, so I am willing do just about anything to it in pursuit of a solution. What I am lacking is enough of a "big picture" understanding of ZM and these particular flavors of Linux to know where to go next.

Any suggestions?
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

dhmsjs wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:10 am I am also seeing this NaN issue when displaying events on RPi4 with ZM v1.34.22 and also 1.36.0. Here is some additional information which may be helpful to the smart folks.

1) I also have an RPi3 2G running 1.34.22. It does not have the NaN issue. I upgraded from the version available in the standard RPi repository (it was v1.32?? I think) using iconnor's v1.34 repository.

2) To explore performance improvements I've recently set up an RPi4 8G (buster) similarly. The first ZM install of 1.32?? went smoothly. After upgrading to 1.34.22 using iconnor's repository, the NaN issue appeared. As noted in other posts, events play (sort of) but many features are wonky or broken.

3) I recently upgraded the RPi4 to iconnor's 1.36.0 release to see if that would fix the problem. It does not. But otherwise the upgrade itself seems to work well.

4) As with other posts, nothing obvious seems to be showing up in the logs or in the browser's console. I've explored the code enough to see that the event's "Progress" field on the event display webpage is updated by getCmdResponse(respObj, respText) in event.js (line 246). The reason for the NaNs appears to be that respObj "Status" has only "zoom" and "rate" members, but no "progress" member. Thus a read of progress returns NaN.

I've tried comparing the RP3's behavior to the RPi4, but unfortunately that comparison is clouded by the fact that the RPi4 is now running 1.36.0 while the RPi3 is still on 1.34.22 -- and the code differences in the two versions appear to be significant with respect to this issue.

The evidence above suggests to me that the cause is due to a subtle difference in the OS, not ZM per se. But I don't have a clue as to what that difference might be.

My RPi4 is entirely experimental at this point, so I am willing do just about anything to it in pursuit of a solution. What I am lacking is enough of a "big picture" understanding of ZM and these particular flavors of Linux to know where to go next.

Any suggestions?
Are you using the 32 or 64 bit version of Buster? Is your Pi firmware up to date?
dhmsjs

Post by dhmsjs »

32 bit (std Pi OS). Yes it's a new RPi and all packages are current
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

I have ZM 1.36.0 set up on a Pi 3B+. Have the cam set to just monitor. Moved the SD card to my Pi 4 8 GB. Set the cam to modect and tested with just jpegs and then just video record. Both playbacks worked fine with the jpegs being a bit more responsive. Will wipe the SD later today and reload Buster and then do 1.34.x and see what happens. My guess is it will work fine. I use the install procedure from the WIKI.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Installed the Buster lite version on a shiny new MicroSD card and set up on the Pi 4B. Installed Apache, Mariadb and PHP then Zoneminder 1.34 from the zmrepo. Did get an old linksys cam to work and display videos from jpegs and mp4's. New Amcrest cam would not load even when using known settings from the low res stream (it worked on the Pi 3B+!). Upgraded to 1.36 with the same result. reloading the SD card to try again...
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Am pleased to report that with a fresh install of Buster Lite 32 bit on the Pi 4B and Zoneminder 1.36.0 everything works as intended. Used the install instructions from the WIKI: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Debian_10_B ... om_ZM_Repo
dhmsjs

Post by dhmsjs »

Thanks bbunge. Now going through a similar process here on my RPi4 to see what I get.
dhmsjs

Post by dhmsjs »

Well this is interesting.

Swapped in a fresh SD card with the stock Buster image that came with the RPi4. Followed the Wiki install procedure referenced by bbunge above _except_ that I added the 1.34 repo to sources.list instead of 1.36. All went well.

The point there was to compare my RPi3 running ZM v1.34.22 (which does not have the NaN issue) with my RPi4 (which did). Plus I had not seen a difference regarding the NaN issue after upgrading the RPi4 from 1.34.22 to 1.36.0.

The RPi4 is now running 1.34.22 and appears to be working exactly as it was before -- including the NaN issue. Still there.

Bbunge - you said your install was on a fresh SD with Buster Lite 32 bit. Where exactly did you get that SD image from?
dhmsjs

Post by dhmsjs »

Inspecting logs now. After trying to play/pause/change speed (which shows "Stop") I do get an error in the weblog:

Code: Select all

2021-08-05 15:26:29	web_js		21782	ERR	TypeError: streamImg.src is undefined	zm/cache/skins_classic_views_js_event-base-1603137573.js	291
And line 291 references

Code: Select all

// Try to reload the image stream.
    var streamImg = $j('#evtStream');
    if ( streamImg ) {
      streamImg.src = streamImg.src.replace( /auth=\w+/i, 'auth='+streamStatus.auth );
    }
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

dhmsjs wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:20 pm Well this is interesting.

Swapped in a fresh SD card with the stock Buster image that came with the RPi4. Followed the Wiki install procedure referenced by bbunge above _except_ that I added the 1.34 repo to sources.list instead of 1.36. All went well.

The point there was to compare my RPi3 running ZM v1.34.22 (which does not have the NaN issue) with my RPi4 (which did). Plus I had not seen a difference regarding the NaN issue after upgrading the RPi4 from 1.34.22 to 1.36.0.

The RPi4 is now running 1.34.22 and appears to be working exactly as it was before -- including the NaN issue. Still there.

Bbunge - you said your install was on a fresh SD with Buster Lite 32 bit. Where exactly did you get that SD image from?
I use the Raspberry Imager: https://www.raspberrypi.org/software/

When you get the lite version installed (without desktop) use the raspi-config to enable SSH, set your Locale for Timezone, Local and keyboard. The Pi version of Buster comes set for Great Brittan. Yes. you can use the desktop version but it takes resources Zoneminder can use.
Once the Pi is up and running use a remote terminal, Putty is great on Windows, and just copy and paste the commands from the WIKI.

If you feel brave there is a Ubuntu Bionic, 20.04, version for the Pi that is 64 bit and there is a 64 bit, arm64, version of Zoneminder. The Ubuntu Server Pi version has a lot of Snap and Cloud crap.

I strongly recommend you skip ZM 1.34 and go to 1.36.x
dhmsjs

Post by dhmsjs »

Thanks I will burn an SD with that image to see if I can replicate your results.

Just FYI, I followed essentially the same process with the stock RPi4 SD card I set up yesterday and yes I run headless as soon as I enable SSH.

And to be clear re versions: I have already upgraded to 1.36.0 on the _other_ SD card (which still shows the NaN problem). So I know already that 1.36.0 alone does not fix the issue.

My efforts here are _not_ to just set up a system to monitor my cameras -- I have that running on my RPi3 already. The purpose here is to find out (and hopefully fix) why we get these NaN issues on some installations and not on others. So starting with 1.34.22 (where the issue first appeared for me) is step one.

Maybe I won't be able to find the real cause. But at least I would like to try. And I appreciate the help you've provided so far.
dhmsjs

Post by dhmsjs »

Hmm.

Loaded new SD card with Buster Lite 32 bit from the link above. Installed Zoneminder _exactly_ as per the wiki procedure referenced above, _except_ I sourced v1.34 instead of 1.36. And...NaN issue is still there!!

I even did the whole process twice just to make sure I didn't screw up subtly somewhere along the way. Same result both times.

Could it be a camera issue? I used the ONVIF tool to grab camera parameters from my Hikvision camera. And everything does work fine with exact same camera on the RPi3 -- i.e. no NaN issue.

Very strange.

I will repeat with v1.36 just to see what happens.