Download mp4 corrupted

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
dad1

Download mp4 corrupted

Post by dad1 »

Hi,

I have a working installation of zoneminder 1.34.15 on ubuntu server 18

I can view events successfully in the browser from a camera that is continuously recording. However, when I download mp4 the downloaded file, although the correct length (10 minutes) the downloaded recording has frozen frames and corrupted images when viewed in VLC player.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

Is there any other way to get vidoe off the zoneminder server ( I can connect to it with winscp)?
SkippyDo

Re: Download mp4 corrupted

Post by SkippyDo »

Have you tried checking the source MPG file(s) ON the server? If they're corrupted there then you can see it as a possible ZM Issue, otherwise it could be a network issue.
burger

Post by burger »

What model is the camera? And check the source files, as mentioned.
fastest way to test streams:
ffmpeg -i rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path ./output.mp4 (if terminal only)
ffplay rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path (gui)
find paths on ispydb or in zm hcl

If you are new to security software, read:
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Dummies_Guide
dad1

Post by dad1 »

Hi,

Thanks to you both for the suggestions. They helped me to solve the problem.

I downloaded the event mp4 file directly using winSCP. VLC player showed the same corruption. So that ruled out the web download process.

I then played the downloaded file in windows media player and it ran correctly. So it turned out to be a problem with VLC player. Updated VLC player to the latest version and the problem is solved.

Thanks

D
wajayme

Post by wajayme »

First of all, youtube is the mother of tutorials, so I'm sure you should find something there. If not, try and check the frame limit, and the compatibility. Or another suggestion would be to use something that is more accessible. I use this converter, and it does its job wonderfully. Of course, it depends on what you're using it for. Mine is for editing simple, short videos. If you need it for more complex tasks, it might not be suitable for you. Let me know if you solved the problem. I'm sure youtube will help you if we can't.
woodseleanor

Post by woodseleanor »

Sometimes if you don't update applications on time when they require it, such errors always occur. I'm glad you could solve the problem. And I was looking these days for an excellent Youtube converter, without spam and advertising that I don't need. And it was recommended to me with all confidence https://loader.to. I use it systematically because I need short videos to integrate them in some of the presentations for my team. I appreciate the receptivity of the people here in the community.