Using multiple streams from one camera (and record ONLY from one stream)

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
SkippyDo

Using multiple streams from one camera (and record ONLY from one stream)

Post by SkippyDo »

Is it possible, with cameras that support multiple streams, to set up one stream to do MODECT (and serve live streams) and act as the trigger (linked monitor?) for the camera's higher resolution stream to be recorded, for that higher resolution stream to ONLY capture IF/WHEN the lower resolution stream is triggered?

According to DAHUA my cameras (IPC-HFW1320S) support two streams:"20fps@3M(2048x1536)&25/30fps@1080P(1920×1080)" I currently have ZM configured for 1280x720 in an attempt to cut down on some socket errors I'm having (which is the reason why I'm looking into trying to incorporate/utilize multiple streams).
racelife

Re: Using multiple streams from one camera (and record ONLY from one stream)

Post by racelife »

I use multiple streams but I didn't have good results linking them... could be an error on my part. I use the lower quality stream to do modect to reduce load on the server and make it easy to go through the important footage. I have my HD streams set to record so that if I see anything I need to review further I can see what happened in HD. For me it's best to have something recording all the time to see something leading up to the motion event or something in the distance that may not trigger motion until they get closer. All you have to do is add a second monitor just like the first with the other stream.
SkippyDo

Post by SkippyDo »

I did more pondering on this and I think you're noting what popped into my head as being a potential problem. The MODECT stream is instructed to buffer frames before and after an event. If I use this stream to trigger the stream for HD recording I believe that I couldn't capture the lead-in and lead-out buffer frames (from the HD stream).

Thinking more about this I'm suspecting that it wouldn't buy me anything in terms of server resources (bandwidth concern, but not with the cameras<->server, but bandwidth server<->client (live view and playback)- running two interfaces, one dedicate network for cams and one for web/client access. Having two streams per camera won't likely help.
stevie187

Post by stevie187 »

I have a similar issue I thought the whole point of the linked camera is that when motion was detected on the linked camera, it would trigger an event on the the other camera. I have a high quality stream being recorded and I would like events triggered on that from a linked low quality feed, is this possible? I have tried all combinations and can't get it to work.
SkippyDo

Post by SkippyDo »

I think that it's possible by setting MODECT on the monitor of the low res stream and then disabling the saving of jpeg and video under the Storage tab/settings. Then link your high res stream Monitor (set to NODECT) to the low res stream monitor (which will have the necessary storage settings under Storage). I haven't tried this, but from what I've read this seems like the way to set it up.

As I noted, however, the monitor stream with MODECT is the only one that will be able to capture pre and post trigger frames: perhaps post trigger frames can be recorded from the hi res stream, but almost certain that pre trigger frames cannot (because it doesn't know to capture anything until the linked-monitor trigger happens).