ffmpeg hardware acceleration support for AMD gpus?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
RockUser

ffmpeg hardware acceleration support for AMD gpus?

Post by RockUser »

I got 1.34 set up and I noticed that there was going to be support for hardware acceleration for ffmpeg. I got to the options menu and saw the help question mark mention intel and Nvidia hardware acceleration, I was just wondering if AMD is or will be supported in the future. Thank you. I feel like hardware acceleration will help out so much in adding more cameras to my system. I have some old Nvidia cards lying around so it's not a big deal if I have to swap out my AMD card, thanks again for any information.
iconnor

Re: ffmpeg hardware acceleration support for AMD gpus?

Post by iconnor »

Works, you use vaapi for it as well as intel.

Please note that at 720p the cpu reduction was not that impressive.
RockUser

Post by RockUser »

So I entered a command in the DecoderHWAccelName field ffmpeg -h encoder=h264_vaapi and afterwards I saw my Ram usage increase from the 3-4gb range to about 6gb and according to radeontop my gpu usage is still hovering in the 5% range. I'm wondering if that's normal and if maybe zoneminder is using the intel cpu's vaapi encoders instead of the gpu's. This camera is 4K and with h264 passthrough it's not too bad on the processor, but I feel as though hardware acceleration would help everything out going forward when I add more cameras. But I'm still new to all this and am picking things up as I go.
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

You should only put the word "vaapi" in the DecoderHWAccelName field.

To determine if ffmpeg is using hwaccel correctly you should turn on debugging and watch your zmc logs.