triggering from external switch closure and from ZM motion detection

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
JimS

triggering from external switch closure and from ZM motion detection

Post by JimS »

Have a external input I can use for triggering recording and think I have the info I need to do that. But wondering about how the camera motion detection will interact with the manual input. Am thinking I will keep the motion detection and add the switch input. Anything I should know about using both together?
burger

Re: triggering from external switch closure and from ZM motion detection

Post by burger »

This is not really a zoneminder question, and more a general camera question (1.34 is the wrong board).

Anyways, what camera make/model? Did you check the user manual to see what that says?

You can also use ZMTrigger if you don't want to use the camera's built in IO connections. https://wiki.zoneminder.com/ZMTrigger. Easy way is to just use the software motion detection (in ZM). Hardware addons work well, but also take time to install. It's a tradeoff.
fastest way to test streams:
ffmpeg -i rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path ./output.mp4 (if terminal only)
ffplay rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path (gui)
find paths on ispydb or in zm hcl

If you are new to security software, read:
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Dummies_Guide
JimS

Re: triggering from external switch closure and from ZM motion detection

Post by JimS »

Maybe I didn't explain things very well. This has nothing to do with the cameras and everything to do with zoneminder. I have a vehicle sensor hooked to another network node and planned to use this to trigger zm recording - this this is done via a script on the sensor network device. The motion sensing I have working now is done entirely with zm - nothing to do with the cameras, they just provide a video stream. Just wondering how doing both methods of triggering may interact or possibly interfere.