Deleting old events

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
RockUser

Deleting old events

Post by RockUser »

Hello all, I just need some help with setting up a filter that will auto delete old zoneminder events that are over 30 days old. I followed some threads on it but I must have messed something up with the date portion.
https://imgur.com/a/Y6CgFEf

For the date section after start date, I tried putting a number like "-30 days" like it says to in the FAQ
https://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/stable/faq.html

Purge By Age To delete events that are older than 7 days, create a new filter with “Date” set to “less than” and a value of “-7 days”, sort by “date/time” in “asc”ending order, then enable the checkbox “delete all matches”. You can also use a value of week or week and days: “-2 week” or “-2 week 4 day”
Doing this with "-30 days" just start deleting everything. So I was wondering if based on the screen shot if there's something obvious with my settings that I messed up.

I changed it to a specific date so that it would stop. But I originally had it at 30 days.
iconnor

Re: Deleting old events

Post by iconnor »

It is entirely possible that there is a bug. Turn on debug logging and let's see what the resulting sql is.

That being said, you should actually try to use Start Date/Time because it is more efficient and more tested.

Why is it more efficient? because the resulting SQL is to_days( E.StartTime ) instead of just using E.StartTime. WHich means it can't use the index on StartTime. So it iterates every event in the db (unless another index comes into play).
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Here is a 30 day purge that has been working for me for a while:
day_purge.jpg
day_purge.jpg (81.68 KiB) Viewed 242633 times
RockUser

Post by RockUser »

bbunge wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:52 pm Here is a 30 day purge that has been working for me for a while:
day_purge.jpg
This worked for me thank you for sharing. :D
iconnor wrote:That being said, you should actually try to use Start Date/Time because it is more efficient and more tested.

Why is it more efficient? because the resulting SQL is to_days( E.StartTime ) instead of just using E.StartTime. WHich means it can't use the index on StartTime. So it iterates every event in the db (unless another index comes into play).
I will switch it to Date/Time then to save that extra bit of perfomance. Thank you for the advice. :D