Load Performance (MMX)

Forum for questions and support relating to 1.33.x development only.
ICXC_Nika

Load Performance (MMX)

Post by ICXC_Nika »

I just upgraded Ubuntu to 18.10 and Zoneminder to 1.33.6. In this process my average Load, as shown in ZM, had jumped from 25 to 35. I have 15 IP monitors on a dedicated i3-4150 dual core w/ 16G ram. I will be able to upgrade hardware this year but in the interim I am trying to get the performance down a bit and learn more about ZM and *nix. I currently have the load down to ~20 by setting monitors to 8bit grey scale, Dropping the camera FPS to 15 and on the cameras that support it, I have changed the encode mode to H.265. Each of these seemed to play a significant role in the load decrease.

On https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Managing_Load it speaks about utilizing a library that will take advantage of the Proc's MMX features. The page is quite old so I am wondering if it is still relevant and if so, how can I point ZM to use a different jpeg lib? I looks as though I have libjpeg-turbo8 installed already.

Thanks for the help and for such an awesome product!

Todd
Thank you,
Todd

ZM 1.33.6
Ubuntu 18.10
iconner package
iconnor

Re: Load Performance (MMX)

Post by iconnor »

Okay I assume when you say h265 encode you mean in the camera, not in ZM.

You want to use 32bit, not 8bit grey scale. This will allow MMX and SSE3 instructions.
ICXC_Nika

Re: Load Performance (MMX)

Post by ICXC_Nika »

Thank you iconnor, I implemented your suggestions right away but just noticed I did not thank you for them.
Thank you,
Todd

ZM 1.33.6
Ubuntu 18.10
iconner package