broken debian upgrade to 1.30->1.32: multiple broken monitors

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.32.x releases only.
bbunge

Re: broken debian upgrade to 1.30->1.32: multiple broken monitors

Post by bbunge »

marcmerlin wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:45 pm
vikiyaty wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:22 pm Sorry for the late reply, thank you for doing that. So, it looks like the onvif manager is broken in 1.32 and honestly while I wish I had never upgraded to start with, further upgrading to source from master, seems like just making a bad matter even worse. If stable releases aren't stable, how can I trust top of tree?
Unfortunately, that's exactly my thought too (and I wrote something similar upthread).
I've been using and contributing/writing to open source for over 25 years, and most times I've seen this happen, it's always been between bad news and very bad news for general code health.

Even if stick with ZM, which I'm really reconsidering now given how much time I've lost on it, how can I ever trust new versions, never mind code between releases?

I am grateful to all the volunteers who have put work into this code. Where it's gone to given where it came from, is truly inspiring, but unfortunately it doesn't negate the above either. Stable releases without clear problems or even possible big regressions, is something paramount to users. Hopefully this is something that can get back on track.
Might be well worth your time to start with a fresh install both OS and Zoneminder. While my OS of choice is Ubuntu 18.04 I have had wonderful success in the past several days with Buster and ZM 1.33.x...even on a Pi 3B+ with Buster Raspbian (32 Bit). The WIKI has install procedures for both that work. Ubuntu even has an install script that does all the fancy stuff for you. If you have a clean copy of a ZM database you can import that and upgrade to the latest version. Or you can wat a few days for 1.34.x.
marcmerlin

Re: broken debian upgrade to 1.30->1.32: multiple broken monitors

Post by marcmerlin »

snake wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:47 pm
marcmerlin wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:54 pm Back to rstp, is there a way to turn off attempts at audio processing in ZM 1.32?
Without looking at the code, in 1.33 (and assuming also 1.32) audio is only recorded in FFMPEG and storage of H264 passthrough.

I don't know if it still parses the audio, when you use either Save JPEG or H264 encode, but I suppose you should try that. May be worth investigating whether audio parsing should be disabled, if it's not enabled. Here it looks like bad audio broke the recording.
It took a while, but I was finally able to upgrade to 1.34. Things are not really better:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=29286
actually they're kind of worse, now I get 'ERR [Memory map file '/dev/shm/zm.mmap.5' should have been 1160 but was instead 0]'.
Let's continue on the new thread, though.