ZoneMinder was not compiled with the X264 MP4 video writer, check dependencies (x264 and mp4v2)

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.32.x releases only.
cyclic

ZoneMinder was not compiled with the X264 MP4 video writer, check dependencies (x264 and mp4v2)

Post by cyclic »

zoneminder/stable,now 1.32.3-2 armhf [installed] on pi4-4GB from raspian default apt install ppa - ok
Install variety of 5 cams panasonic mjpeg, vivotek html mp4, ICAMI onvif ffpeg rtsp mp4
All cams show green, load is typ 1.5 to 2 when event in progress.
Individual cams display live video normally
Both montages display live video normally
Modect works as expected - event is generated - event sequence in log normal

Dst hhd is nfs demon mounted at /mnt/...
No evidence that this connected and
Snapshots are stored in /mnt/..../events/... as normal
Events are listed in console as normal and list with thumbnails as normal

BUT no video is stored in event folder

Log Shows::
"The video could not be loaded either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported"

How can I resolve this missing dependency?
mp4 clearly is processed, decoded and displayed.
It would seem logical that mp4 sources being recorded would just pass through.
cyclic_redundancy_check
iconnor

Re: ZoneMinder was not compiled with the X264 MP4 video writer, check dependencies (x264 and mp4v2)

Post by iconnor »

debian 10 deprecated some libraries that we use. So the version in raspbian comes without those features.

Go to https://zmrepo.zoneminder.com for instructions on how to get our version which has everything.
snake

Re: ZoneMinder was not compiled with the X264 MP4 video writer, check dependencies (x264 and mp4v2)

Post by snake »

iconnor wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:44 pm debian 10 deprecated some libraries that we use. So the version in raspbian comes without those features.

Go to https://zmrepo.zoneminder.com for instructions on how to get our version which has everything.
Raspbian has different repos from Debian 10, and when I installed it two months ago or so (per wiki.zoneminder.com/Raspberry_Pi_4_-_Raspbian) H264 MP4 writing worked, with passthrough. Encode of course doesn't work.

The ZMRepo build is probably the best since it has encode, but the raspbian repo version of Zoneminder is not the same as the Debian 10 version of Zoneminder (which I know doesn't have libmp4v2, and which doesn't record MP4). I think Raspbian folks packaged their own edition of ZM.

I think this is also why Raspbian 8 or 9 has 1.30 not 1.30.4 as opposed to Debian which has 1.30.4.

It's possible raspbian has updated their repos, though. My RPI4 is unfortunately unaccessible at the moment, so I can't double check.
cyclic

Post by cyclic »

As per OP I have raspian with zm from raspian ppa 1.32.3-2 which generally works well except no video is recorded.
Only snapshots stored in events.
I have followed suggestions above for 1.33 on buster from zmrepro but installation will not update.
i.e. says "zoneminder is already the newest version (1.32.3-2)"
Ironically it did upgrade docs. "zoneminder-doc/buster,now 1.33.14~20191027.471-buster all [installed]"
Is there armhf at "deb https://zmrepo.zoneminder.com/debian/master buster/" ?
cyclic_redundancy_check
snake

Post by snake »

I've seen permissions errors (with non default storage) cause videos to not record. Another note: you are using an RPI4 and trying to run 5 cameras. This is a lot for an RPI. I would recommend starting with one, make sure it's recording to disk, in the mode you want (modect, mocord, or record) then add another one at a time. It's easy to run out of CPU on the RPI.

Also, I don't understand why you titled this with the subject of the MP4 video writer being missing, but then didn't mention this anywhere in the post. Posting logs would help. The fact that you are storing to an NFS share makes things more complex. Try recording to local disk first.

If you are on ARM, make sure you don't have H264 Encode enabled. Early ZM 1.31+ has H264 encode enabled by default, even though it doesn't exist in ARM (it's technically greyed out, but because its the default selection, it is enabled unless you switch it off). You have to set it to either H264 passthrough, and or write JPEGs . The good news is, that 1.33 or later will have H264 encode for RPI.
cyclic

FIXED Re: ZoneMinder was not compiled with the X264 MP4 video writer, check dependencies (x264 and mp4v2)

Post by cyclic »

FIXED - Just a closing update:

Fixed by patiently waiting for an update with a fix to whatever was wrong with the build.
Thanks to whoever did that.
Worked at 1.33.15 and now also at .16 not sure exactly which version fixed it.
Working with nfs before and after the issue no problem
Pi4 handles 5 cams modect and recording including 1200x800 no problem

Biggest problem now is that the user interface I have been using for many years has changed.
No worries, I'll work out the new one ...
cyclic_redundancy_check