Need help configuring ZM so I can save the video in the way I want

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.32.x releases only.
dtemp132

Need help configuring ZM so I can save the video in the way I want

Post by dtemp132 »

I've had ZM running now for a month with 4 cameras, and things are running pretty reliably.

Currently I have three of my cameras in Modect mode, and one in Mocord mode. Neither seems to give me what I'm looking for, and I'm wondering if anyone has a combination of settings here that will accomplish the following:

Storing 1 fps footage of a monitor all the time (24/7)
During an alarm, saving full 30fps footage
Having an easy way to view back-to-back the footage in the past day from alarm events
I've only been able to do #1 or #2, not both at the same time. Regarding #3, I can do that using the "gapless events", but when you're just saving 10-minute long video clips, it's useless.

Hopefully my question makes sense. Please let me know if I can provide any more info about my setup. Using ZM 1.32.3.
kitkat

Re: Need help configuring ZM so I can save the video in the way I want

Post by kitkat »

dtemp132 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:39 pm Storing 1 fps footage of a monitor all the time (24/7)
I think this will be difficult because, as I understand it, the proper way to set the frame rate is to do it in camera, not in ZM.
mikb

Post by mikb »

kitkat wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:51 pm
dtemp132 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:39 pm Storing 1 fps footage of a monitor all the time (24/7)
I think this will be difficult because, as I understand it, the proper way to set the frame rate is to do it in camera, not in ZM.
Possibly one way round it, if your camera supports this, is to set up two MONITORS on one physical camera, on different URLs.

Configure one monitor to be your high-frame rate video stream for alarms, from the "video" (mp4/mjpeg/rtsp/whatever) URL for the camera. Frame rate set at camera for FPS you need.
Set this up with usual motion detection (Modect)

Configure the other monitor to be your low frame rate video, using the still-image or .JPG URL for the camera. Frame rate set at Zoneminder at 1 FPS.
Set this up with continuous record (Record?)
snake

Post by snake »

dtemp132 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:39 pm Currently I have three of my cameras in Modect mode, and one in Mocord mode. Neither seems to give me what I'm looking for, and I'm wondering if anyone has a combination of settings here that will accomplish the following:

Storing 1 fps footage of a monitor all the time (24/7)
Having an easy way to view back-to-back the footage in the past day from alarm events
I've only been able to do #1 or #2, not both at the same time.
Sounds like linked monitors but it is not.

You could do this if you have a camera with two streams, but you won't get any performance benefits of linked monitors. You would modect on a high FPS stream (either low or high res), then record on a low FPS stream.

Some cameras have two streams, so just configure the camera appropriately if possible. Otherwise you might make a script to download a screenshot locally every second, and then use file type method on the screenshot.
dtemp132

Post by dtemp132 »

Everyone thank you for your thoughts. I'm using Hikvision DS-2CD2025FWD-I cameras, and looking at that page, there is a "second stream" and "third stream" option. Not sure if I'll be able to get both streams to be 1080p; it's weird the way that "second stream" is limited to 480p but "third stream" isn't; maybe someone knows what's going on with that?
dtemp132

Post by dtemp132 »

I've enabled the second stream on one of my cameras and I'm doing the following:

Stream 1: 1920x1080 1fps set in camera, Record mode, no zones

Stream 2: 640x360 15fps set in camera, Modect, a couple activity zones

I've got some dialing-in to do to optimize my use of CPU and RAM, and to not detect activity when there are super minor changes in an image, but this appears to be doing what I want now. I'm getting 1fps 24/7 and 15fps during activity.